WANTED: Your Flight data from Buckled tubes, and from Extreme flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jowayen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on an excel sheet that will calculate and compare COMPRESSIVE stress that an airframe is subjected to ~vs~ the compressive strength of materials. The spreadsheet will also calculate and compare BENDING stress ~vs~ the ability/strength of materials to withstand a 90 degree angle of attack. So far I am using the following tube materials: Cardboard/Kraft paper, Blue Tube, Phenolic, Fiberglass, Aluminum, and Carbon fiber.
I have compressive strength, Ultimate tensile strength, and Young's Modulus for each material.
These calculations are looking at airframe tube strength - not fin attachment strength.
Fin flutter shred isn't what I'm interested in. I have a trusted spreadsheet for fin flutter.
I am specifically looking for shred data of buckled tubes or successful extreme flight data to validate the spreadsheet calculations.
I would need to collect all the data listed below for each flight to validate the calculations. Big rockets or small, all are welcome.
If anyone could possibly, please provide the following:

Airframe material
Airframe OD
Airframe ID
Rocket empty mass (ready-to-fly without motor and case)
Max acceleration (from sim)
Max Drag Force (from sim)
Cd (from sim)
Cp location from Tip of Nose (from sim)
Nose Cone length
Motor manufacturer and designation

From this list the spreadsheet will calculate cross section area, drag force, thrust force, acceleration force, max dynamic pressure, moment of inertia, critical stress... Please tell me if it was a shred or if it was successful.
I know it's a big list, but once validated, I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet (with a "use at your own risk" clause)
Thanks to any and all

Cloudbuster from 1990. No data, from the time before electronics. Motor Vulcan O1550-40. 4-1/2" G10 (not G12) airframe 1/16" thick. Estimated maximum 1.8 mach. Video from VHS tape recorded by Kyle Surge.

Back