wanted to buy mantis launch pad oe rocket/pad set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does anyone have a mantis launch pad to sell or the complete se of rocket and launch pad as a set

• wanted to buy mantis launch pad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wanted to buy mantis pad/ rocket complete set

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not a fan of my Mantis. Bought it about three years ago and just now finally used it for a launch...plastic parts not lasting long is an understatement.

I have been using a Mantis launch pad since 1993.

It has worked fine for me.

I did glue the launch pad together which made it more sturdy.

I like the design of the Mantis. I think it looks cool, but making it out of plastic is a joke. If it were fiberglass or any material aside from plastic. I wouldn't pay $135 for one. I just think the value isn't there. If they were selling for maybe $50-60 I think that's fair price for what you get. If you do decide on getting one use some type of weight on the legs on windy days or if you launch a larger rocket. The pad has been known for blowing over in the wind. Oh the other hand, you could easily make one by using PVC tubing and a drill chuck.

Last edited:
I had one for a while in the early to mid 90's, it did well for the Initiatior and other smaller rockets. A Mirage on a Estes F62 Darkstar sheared a leg off, not sure how or why. As soon as the motor came up to pressure the whole mess toppled over.

Not a fan of my Mantis. Bought it about three years ago and just now finally used it for a launch...plastic parts not lasting long is an understatement.

I've used my mantis for ~5 years now.
Zero issues.

Bring to a launch, assembly, fly, disassemble.
Repeat as necessary.

If launching heavier birds on 1/4" rod, put some weight on the legs to increase stability.

I would buy it again, though probably would prefer to pay less than a C-note for it.
IIRC, I ran me around $60-ish back then, though it seams Matis pad is not widely available for sale by itself anymore.

a

Back