• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Wanted help on getting 98mm case and closures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianolydia

Reaction score
Hi all, Would like to do some experimental propellant
that is in the future and wanted to know if anyone can
help me with what to select as far as casing, etc. and this is
going to be for my level three and research motor hardware....
any tips? 98mm.

As I understand, if you are going to do a level 3, then you need to stick with a commercial case, such as AMW, Cessaroni, Loki, or Aerotech. If you are going to do strictly EX, then I like the motor cases (BrandX) that Ed Romani makes at TruCore. https://www.rocketsaway.com/

If you are going to do both EX and Commercial, I'm partial to Loki's stuff because you can do both. https://www.lokiresearch.com.

Note that even if its a commercial propellant, if you put it into another case that it wasn't certified in, then it is an EX motor.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Note that even if its a commercial propellant, if you put it into another case that it wasn't certified in, then it is an EX motor.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Loki is good for both ex and commercial i agree...

Where i have a personal difference, is that certified hardware is much more expensive than EX only hardware.
IT SUCKS to blow up a certified case your on the hook for with certified loads that you have.(you may not want to buy the case and find your trying to take a loss and pawn off a reload or 4)

Cross compatablitiy is easy, you can swap most anything the manufacturers will tell you that can be swapped.
Cti posted the cross compatablitiy letter from TRA, you can fly loki reloads in any Gorilla or AMW hardware, and i think any amw by CTI in any gorilla, but they aren't back compatable to loki. Thats how i understand it.
Unless you were saying putting a commerical load in a homade case or something like a Fisher/brandex/mostlymissiles... wich in that case is a NEGATIVE....

(amw and gorilla use the same tolerances and specificaitons.)

Buy commercial for commercial, and ex for ex...(i wish i had done it that way...)

disclaimer: i haven't done Ex.

I agree with Clay. An Ex only case will probably be cheaper than a commercial case since there isn't the same regulations for making them i would guess. That and what clay said about not wanting to destroy a commercial case with an commercial load and having to pawn off the loads.

If you really want to use cases you have you can actually use any case brand around, even aerotech and cti :)

But if you're going into research wouldn't you want to start with something smaller than a 4" motor?

If you can find them and know who to call....
( Now where did I hear that from :D)
AMW 98mm are great!.

It might be a bit pricey but, I picked up a 98mm x 11k complete motor back in April.

JD

Back