Wanted fragile payload suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrarick

Wildman CT
Reaction score
I'm building Quest Payloader Ones with a inner city middle school and I'm looking for suggestions on light, fairly fragile payloads for the students to fly. Their science teacher wants to have them work on designs to cushion the payload. So I'm looking for something no more then 1/2 ounce and that will fit into the payload compartment - .994 in diameter

thanks

I was going to suggest our loud mouthed in heat cat.:eek: But she weighs a little more then 0.5oz.:neener:

Quail Eggs or better yet Button Quail Eggs. Tiny, very light weight and available in most Asian specialty food stores. I've been looking at them for
1/8A Egg-loft ;)

Glass Christmas Tree decoration balls. They are usually very thin and come in different sizes. Should not be very expansive.

A quail egg and a dollar bill... incentive to get it back AND get it back gently! :D

Seeing the Thread Title I thought Quail Eggs too.
But since you're working with inner city youth I'm not sure that this is cost effective.
How about glass tubing I found these guys https://www.pegasus-glass.com/ in Cambridge Canada.
I'm sure there's some place comparable near you. If you tell them it's for inner city kids and rockets you may find someone who will give you scrap for free :2:

My suggestion would be a night light bulb. They would just have to be carefull of the broken glass, in case they don't suceed.

Though not fragile when I was a cub scout we flew Hershey Kisses [chocolate] drops in our payloads.

There was just something cool about eating candy that had ''flown" through space in a rocket.

You could substitute chocolate covered cherries, they have fragile shells and are even tastier!

Last edited:
How 'bout those bubble-in-a-vial things they put on shipping crates to indicate rough handling? They come in varying strengths. Just can't think of the name.

Gary
SEARS572

Challenging payload contents:

25 steel BB's and a single glass microscope slide inside the same compartment.

-or-

a single rectangular stip cut lengthwise from a single Pringle potatoe chip (they can be cust if you use a high-speed setting on either a band saw or a scroll saw - don't ask me how I know this).

From a student safety and tacher/school liability perspective, I'd advise you to stay totally away from glass.

Back