• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted 2.6" FWFG metal tip nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason
I talked to Mike at Mad Cow and he said they had a lot of requests non metal tip smaller size nose cones. So they made the decision to go with non metal tip on cones smaller than 3". I would like on and think others would to.

Madcow might not be, But I'm considering taking bids ;) Other than running all thread through it and making a simple tracker bay, any other reason to prefer the metal tip?

I've got a metal tip on my screech, but no particular -need- for it to be that way.

BTW, This wouldn't be the first one I bought. I just lost a non metal tip cone and need to replace it. I am a fan of the positive retention of the shock cord with the metal tip.

BTW, This wouldn't be the first one I bought. I just lost a non metal tip cone and need to replace it. I am a fan of the positive retention of the shock cord with the metal tip.

Ah Makes sense. On the composite tip one I have I'm likely going to do a tube in tube setup and either kevlar or an eyebolt solidly mounted.

this is the one I have now, think I glued the coupler, but not the bulkhead-

16790291874_c89cc0fab1_b.jpg

I know at least one guy who drilled and tapped a couple composite tips... Not sure how solid it is, but he's got multiple flights on each.

I like the metal tips if there is a shoulder. The flat cones always get kicked to the side on landing.

Show me your tap set up that reaches all the way into the cone.

I have long drill bits, just can't see how to tap the hole.

Show me your tap set up that reaches all the way into the cone.

I have long drill bits, just can't see how to tap the hole.

+1 to this. Long drill bits available, but taps long enough for that are something I have never seen.

That's exactly what those look like.

I also have tap holders that go on a 1/4" ratchet, that you could put on any length of extension.

Such a shame that the MC 2.6" metal tip cones aren't available. They're the nicest, IMHO.

I had one of the originals and loved it for Head End Deploy. Ordered another and got the composite tip. Epoxied Kevlar loop in NC tip. I would prefer the old eye bolt type but you can make it work. At first I drilled a 1/4" hole about 1/2" deep into the composite and considered threading an eye bolt into it along with a dab of JB weld, but then decided to just epoxy in a kevlar loop instead. If your using the NC for HED applications I think you could dill and thread an eyebolt into the tip and not worry about it pulling out as the NC doesn't weight that much. Just my thoughts. I THINK I heard something at Airfest about Wildman working on a 2.5" NC. Maybe it isn't too far into production and he can use some feedback on the tip design?

Maybe I should take my 2.6" cone apart and see if I can turn these on my lathe.

The hard part trying to convert an epoxy tip is going to be getting the chop at the same place from cone to cone.

I would love a metal tipped FWFG VK nosecone in 38 & 54mm.

I'm not sure why the stepped tip is though. I want a smooth outside with no discontinuities for low drag.

Perfect. I want that. :)

I forgot to say that I also want a 2.6" one too.

To extend the reach of a tap
how bout you put it in a drill bit extension,,
a set screw type one..

Teddy

As stated above you can buy tap extensions. You can also buy Pulley taps that are longer than a standard tap.

I would love a metal tipped FWFG VK nosecone in 38 & 54mm.

I'm not sure why the stepped tip is though. I want a smooth outside with no discontinuities for low drag.

The step part of the nose cone is the part that goes in the nosecone. With out it the tip sometimes moves off center.

Back