Want to See The Difference?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
I posted a note here on Sunday when I attained my L1. I got a couple of nice attaboys and life moves on.

I posted almost the same note on RMR. In the same period, it generated 47 messages, and 5 of them were about my certification flight. The rest was a bunh of hooey about whether or not I should have had a LEUP. From there it spiraled down into:

JI: This all wrong
Poster 1: You are wrong
Poster 2: And an idiot
Poster 3: And ugly
Poster 5: And your mother dresses you funny
Poster 6: What they said
JI: Am not
Everybody (In harmony): Are too

And so on, ad nauseum

:) It is so much nicer over here:)

I saw that.....didnt know it was the same person. Yeah JI.....what to say...

I missed the post on your L1 so a belated Congratulations:D
Now it is time to dig the wallet out;)

Same Here Congratulations on L-1. I saw the picture on your other post. Nice rocket, any successful Cert flight is worth a celebration.......Larry

I love it here! :)

Even when you TRY to send a topic (your L1) *off*topic (about what happened on rmr), the folks at TRF will *drag* that sucker back *on* topic whether you like it or not!

good people!
:)

"Shhhhh........."

Be vewy, vewy quiet, and I will let you in on a little secret.

r.m.r. was created as a sort of a "cyber loony bin". It's where they put the "special" folks. Going to r.m.r. for advice and information on rocketry, is like going to a psychiatric facility to get advice and information on car care, or the state of the economy. You can pose all the questions you want there, just don't expect half the replies to contain any useful information.

And, like loony bins, the ones who do most of the talking (even when no one's listening) are usually the ones who are farthest gone. And arguing with them is just about as productive.

The thing which I really don't like is the fact most new people to the hobby find their way to RMR first. I did.

When I want to be cheered up, I look at RMR... Its sooo funny :)

And I'm sure if any of the people started tying to post that junk over here, it'd be deleted pretty quick!

What I find is that people on this board are tactful and respectful when voicing an opinion. Most opinions come in the form of suggestions or cautions whereas RMR participants break out their "Dennis Leary" soapbox and proclaim almight status.

It's interesting to me to observe (male) political arguements. At some point it becomes a game of wit and quick tongue as opposed to logical debate.

That being said, for those of you that are attending Whitakers this weekend I will be looking forward to extending my hand out for a nice handshake. To those of you that can't come, we'll engage in RMR type talk about you for not going. :D

Well said eugenefl. I gotta say, when I first joined TRF I was surprised with the friendliness of this forum. In the last month and a half that I’ve been here, I’ve only found one person that needs to be more friendly(but he's not too bad for his age I guess:rolleyes: little twit). Other than that, I have found everyone to be extremely helpful and polite. Thanks TRF!!

Originally posted by vjp
"Shhhhh........."

Be vewy, vewy quiet, and I will let you in on a little secret.

r.m.r. was created as a sort of a "cyber loony bin". It's where they put the "special" folks. Going to r.m.r. for advice and information on rocketry, is like going to a psychiatric facility to get advice and information on car care, or the state of the economy. You can pose all the questions you want there, just don't expect half the replies to contain any useful information.

And, like loony bins, the ones who do most of the talking (even when no one's listening) are usually the ones who are farthest gone. And arguing with them is just about as productive.

LOL, I love it. What's the name of this site? I want to go there for some laughs!!:D

Before i found this heavenly place of rocket harmony i ventured onto R.M.R and got a good spanking for a spelling mistake.That was my first and last time i went there.:kill:

I too started out on RMR. I sure do wish I had found TFR about 2 years earlier.

I would say that 95% of what is written on RMR is pure drivel. Although, I must admit that I still read it I check it once a week or so. It usually takes about 10 minutes. By comparison, I was on vacation a couple of months ago and hadn't checked TFR for about 10 days - took me the better part of an evening to read just the items that were interesting to me. The next day, I spent a couple of hours reading the things that didn't LOOK interesting but were!!!

And you can see from my post count that I don't spend a lot of time writing.

I probably don't say this often enough, but... I love you guys!!!!:eek:

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by Juaru
I
And you can see from my post count that I don't spend a lot of time writing.

You know, now that I think about it, the main reason that I became mostly a "lurker" is that I didn't want to take the chance of getting publicly ridiculed on RMR. I remember about 5 or 6 years ago there was a foreign kid named Tai Fu who was in high school, learning English, and just getting into rockets. The RMR's were merciless. I still see posts from him, but very rarely.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by Juaru
You know, now that I think about it, the main reason that I became mostly a "lurker" is that I didn't want to take the chance of getting publicly ridiculed on RMR. www.JonRocket.com

Well, we're glad you said hello! On the plus side, you're selling us stuff too! (Wait, that's a negative...anyways. :D )

As for rocketeers with grammar, spelling, and punctuation issues, so long as they're not asking for tips on how to guide a rocket made out of steel I think they'll fit right in! I think it's nice to have foreigners on board. It kinda makes their "character" or personality more tangible.

well... (gawd, I can't beleive i'm going to say something *positive* about rmr...) :p

rmr is about history and freedom of speech. This is both good and bad. rmr is a perfect example of what happens in a law-less (rule-less) society. From a historic perspective, you could actually make a *study* of that kind of environment with rmr (or any newsgroup for that matter).

But more importantly, is its historic signifigance. rmr provided a forum type environment for rocketeers befor the World Wide Web even existed, but what many do not know is that it even PRE-dates the *internet*! (some of you here remember, and perhaps even *used* the ARPAnet and "poor-mans-routing" for sending messages...)

I've been writing on rmr since befor some of you were *born*. Next to the NAR, it is possibly the oldest rocketry group (loosely knitted...) in existance and many of the posters are from the original small group who founded it.

Another important point is that it is *not* moderated (law-less). I spend most of my time here because it *is* moderated. I personally know many folks who *avoid* TRF because it is moderated. This is all fine. These people (who are fine individuals and respected rocketeers in their own right) do *not* want to be moderated. rmr provides a place for them to enjoy their sport/hobby in an environment that they prefer.

So, for all their infighting, the hard-core folks who live there *like* the infighting. It's just another part of the hobby/forum experience that they look forward to. If nothing else, I respect them for their honesty. They leave us to ourselves and we leave them to their selves (for the most part) and everyone is happy :)

jim

I have managed to get some flack over a launch video. A poster acted like I was being dishonest about a rocket I designed. I looked at his profile and saw I was designing rockets before he was born! Must have too much velvet on his brand new antlers.

shrox

Originally posted by jflis
Even when you TRY to send a topic (your L1) *off*topic (about what happened on rmr), the folks at TRF will *drag* that sucker back *on* topic whether you like it or not!

Learned that one after all those posts about the Deuce, Jim? Or were those exceptions to the rule? ;)

And yes, I LOVE IT HERE. So peaceful, and not blocked by the internet security at my school... :p

Yes I do prefer the way this forum runs.
To me it is a place I enjoy being.
Shrox,
I read the thread you are refering too. Kind of sounded like he was a bit mad about the whole thing? As you well know this kind of thing is rare around these parts so can easily be shrugged off.
Thats all I got to say about that.

Once I saw the posters age that was reason enough to shrug it off.

shrox

I guess I'll throw my 2cents in here. Like most TRFers (er...all TRFers? :)), I love this place. Good advice and good conversation. Differences of opinion are more than tolerated, they are encouraged. There is always more than one way to skin a cat (go ahead, hijack this thread with cat jokes :)).

As for r.m.r., I still look at it often but rarely post. It takes no time to scan the threads and I occasionally find useful stuff. Unfortunately, I also often stop tracking threads because even the simplest one go off into never never land (per Hospital's example). However, where I find it most useful is to search the archives via Google. It seems I can find some discussion about most topics and the BS is kept to a minimum.

Originally posted by rstaff3
There is always more than one way to skin a cat (go ahead, hijack this thread with cat jokes :)).

Ok then...I will...this is hilarious but very very evil.

One time a while back, my friend and his friend (NOT me) took two of their cats and faced them away from each other. They turned one cat upside down then duct taped their tails together. Satisfied that they were firmly attached, they brought the vacuium cleaner near the two cats and turned it on. Thus, the cats freaked out and one would run one way with the other cat on its side or back, then that cat would figure out how to stand up, then stand up and start running the OTHER way, with the other cat on its back. I'm not sure how this story ends, but I'm sure it was with a lot of meowing and a pair of scissors...

:D :D :D

Jason

Originally posted by daveyfire
Learned that one after all those posts about the Deuce, Jim? Or were those exceptions to the rule? ;)

sssshhhhhhhhh SHUSH

don't wanna let anyone catch on....

Wow, that RMR is REALLY something. I've heard of it, but never checked it out, till today. Just seems like a place for a lot of 'hate mail'. And I only read 2 posts. Really one was pretty good, it was about using copy paper for strengthening, the other was 'Jerry and the ATF... Whew what a post.

Yeppers, this place, TRF, is the one for me.

Back