Walston Retrieval

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ID Rocketeer

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a Walston tracker recently? I spent the weekend and this morning trying to contact Jim but the phone just rings through to voicemail every time. I left a message the first time, but haven't gotten a call back. The FAX number listed on his web site is disconnected. I'd really like to order a new transmitter and don't know what I'll do if he is out of business.

Has anyone ordered a Walston tracker recently? I spent the weekend and this morning trying to contact Jim but the phone just rings through to voicemail every time. I left a message the first time, but haven't gotten a call back. The FAX number listed on his web site is disconnected. I'd really like to order a new transmitter and don't know what I'll do if he is out of business.
This is second hand, but flyers around here who have Walston gear have expressed that they have had difficulty communicating with Walston and have concerns that the business might be (or should be) shuttered.

L.L. Electronics can make a transmitter at just about any frequency you want and theirs are smaller and lighter than Walstons. Go to radiotracking.com and give them a call. I have found them to be really great to work with.

--Lance.

Thanks, Lance.

Yes, it has always been a bit difficult to contact Jim, just not this difficult. He has never responded to any email I sent. I asked him about that at one point when I had him on the phone and he indicated he doesn't check his email, so I don't know why he put one on his web site.

Do "know" if the L.L. Electronics transmitters are compatible with Walston receivers? I have too much tied up in Walston at this point to start over if I don't absolutely have to. I don't know what he does with his transmitters, but I've never heard any receiver other than a Walston pick up the signal.

Marshall Transmitters are also very good. I bought a Scout VHF Transmitter for BALLS this year and it worked very well. I use my old RocketHunter receiver with it. The Scout has a short 7" antenna which fits into a 38mm nosecone without bending. It also uses a 2032 battery (same as my Rockethunter transmitters) which are inexpensive and very easy to find. I bought mine with the magnetic switch option which I really like.

The L. L. transmitters are very good as well but use a different battery. You can't go wrong with either one.

Good luck,

Toony.

Just got off the phone with Lauren at L.L. Electronics. Very friendly and helpful. She actually was able to give me some information on Jim. She says he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for a couple years now. She doesn't know if he is officially out of business or not. However, the L.L.E. transmitters are compatible with Walston receivers. Their transmitters don't have quite the range that Jim reported for his, but they should be adequate to my needs. The loaded antenna option should really be a blessing when it comes to fitting the tracker in my rockets.

Last edited:
Do "know" if the L.L. Electronics transmitters are compatible with Walston receivers? I have too much tied up in Walston at this point to start over if I don't absolutely have to. I don't know what he does with his transmitters, but I've never heard any receiver other than a Walston pick up the signal.
I use a Walston receiver with LL Electronics transmitters. Just specify the frequencies your receiver uses.

Just got off the phone with Lauren (sp?) at L.L. Electronics. Very friendly and helpful. She actually was able to give me some information on Jim. She says he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for a couple years now. She doesn't know if he is officially out of business or not. However, the L.L.E. transmitters are compatible with Walston receivers. Their transmitters don't have quite the range that Jim reported for his, but they should be adequate to my needs. The loaded antenna option should really be a blessing when it comes to fitting the tracker in my rockets.

Can't ever wish that on anyone. Someone in the family should graciously close down the business with an announcement. Could be he never made arrangements in advance. Heck, I don't do bill pay online as my wife (who's 5 years younger than me)
won't use a computer, period. Bills wouldn't get paid and she'd be in trouble. Kurt

Just got off the phone with Lauren (sp?) at L.L. Electronics. Very friendly and helpful. She actually was able to give me some information on Jim. She says he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for a couple years now. She doesn't know if he is officially out of business or not. However, the L.L.E. transmitters are compatible with Walston receivers. Their transmitters don't have quite the range that Jim reported for his, but they should be adequate to my needs. The loaded antenna option should really be a blessing when it comes to fitting the tracker in my rockets.

This is my understanding about Walston as well.

I would buy the standard, longer antenna- range is a fair amount better.

i tried and tried and tried and failed.

Eventually I went GPS - thanks bdale/keith!

RDF isn't always that easy. This map shows the route I ended up taking the one time I was totally dependent on my Walston to find my rocket. What isn't obvious is the ridge, that is probably approximated by the tumbleweed encrusted fence line in the image, that I had to clear before I got a correct direction. Nobody had seen my rocket on descent, so I had no idea where it was. I was following the strongest signal I could detect. At times I'd lose the signal and at others it would seem to come from what had to be the wrong direction, because it would completely change in just a matter of a couple feet of travel. That was on open desert with relatively small hills. Fortunately those fences didn't exist when I conducted that recovery.

FlyingColorsFlightTenRecovery.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1seX2DAcv6nguggoI6ShoADLVhcA&usp=sharing

EDIT: I changed the default view on the map to Terrain. If you zoom out to the point that the end of the URL reads "&z=15" you can get a hint of the ridge line. You can use the button on the lower left of the map to toggle between terrain and satellite view. The fence I mentioned previously is of course only visible in the satellite view.

Last edited:
I received my new transmitter from L.L. Electronics today and as previously reported by other parties on the forum it comes through loud and clear on my Walston receiver. W00t!

Back