Wal-mart Deal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Walked into an inner-city Wal-mart a few days ago and found ALL Estes (48 packs) motors marked down to $1.50. So I took a few of the ones I needed up front to pay for them when - the rang up at $1.00 per pack.

So after paying for those ones, I put them in the car and headed back inside to clear out the rest . . .

My theory is that, unfortunately, the inner-city stores just don't see the demand for rocketry items as the suburb stores.

Wow, even at a 1.50 it would have been a steal and I would have bought everything they had. Buck a pack...jackpot!

UK prices

about £7-8 per pack.

and they keep getting more expensive.

Walked into an inner-city Wal-mart a few days ago and found ALL Estes (48 packs) motors marked down to $1.50. So I took a few of the ones I needed up front to pay for them when - the rang up at $1.00 per pack.

So after paying for those ones, I put them in the car and headed back inside to clear out the rest . . .

My theory is that, unfortunately, the inner-city stores just don't see the demand for rocketry items as the suburb stores.

About a month ago we got a few at the $3.00 price and then this morning I checked out local Walmart which appears to have restocked for the summer with much more stock than they usually carry at any time. The two prices listed on the shelves were $4.97 & $3.00. The scanned price was $6.97!

So have they already moved to the rumored higher prices? I've never seen them at Walmart for more than $4.97 until today.

Since I have a ton of engines already we let them keep the ones that rang up for $6.97. ;)

Verna

About a month ago we got a few at the $3.00 price and then this morning I checked out local Walmart which appears to have restocked for the summer with much more stock than they usually carry at any time. The two prices listed on the shelves were $4.97 & $3.00. The scanned price was $6.97!

So have they already moved to the rumored higher prices? I've never seen them at Walmart for more than $4.97 until today.

Since I have a ton of engines already we let them keep the ones that rang up for $6.97. ;)

Verna

$6.97 is still cheap against british prices:(

Yeah, my local Walmart hadn't had engines for a year or more. Spotted a new box today and they scanned at $6.97. At least Estes might be able to make a dime on engines sold at WM now since they have been stuck on $4.97 for like 10 years. And hobby stores won't be so overpriced, relatively speaking.

Last edited:
The last time I was at Wal-Mart, the only motors they had were 2 packs of C6-3's at $3.00 which I promptly scooped up.:D

The only rockets they had were about 1 or 2 RTF Hijinx and a couple starter sets. The last rocket I got on clearance was an Estes Bull Pup 12D Launchables kit for $5.00 late last year.

I have about six Wal-Marts in a relatively close distance to me. Where the prices range from $3.00 to $4.97. it goes without saying that I frequent the $3.00 stores.

Last year one of our Challenger 498 club member found (and wiped out) all
of the C6 stock at his Wal - Mart (in Surgarland, TX) that was selling for only
$0.25 per pack. Go figure......

Last year one of our Challenger 498 club member found (and wiped out) all
of the C6 stock at his Wal - Mart (in Surgarland, TX) that was selling for only
$0.25 per pack. Go figure......

Damn I am jealous of all of you! The the best I have been able to do it $9

the walmarts in my area no longer carry anything rocketry related. it sucks. they say it has to do with being licenced and other bull.

I've been getting them for several years now at anywhere from 50 cents a pack to $3 a pack. My first big score was 50 cents a pack....that my wife bought and brought home for me.

You might be able to see the $.50 sticker on the front. :cool:

clearance.jpg

Wow! Who was that, Dave? How many packs did they get?

Jesse; he has bags of them!! You'll have to ask him how many packs, but I
do know he said he wiped them all out. Showed them to us at one of our launches last year (all the while, the Wal - Marts near my house were selling
the same C6's for either $1.00 to $1.50 each, which is good enough for me).

Being a consumer and having worked in the past in retail, I understand how nice these deals are. Why I would even pick up whatever was on the shelf if I saw that kind of deal.

I can easily go through the store flyers that arrive on Friday and save a ton of money just buying the specials. I would be known as a "cherry picker" in the retail trade. The specials are there to get consumers in the store and buy other stuff.

However, picking up a pack of motors at 0.50 or 1.00 a pack is not the store putting a sale on to attrack consumers so they buy other stuff. They are doing this because they are clearing out the merchandise. It may also mean a charge back to the supplier. ( I don' know the terms of the supply contract, so this is speculation)

That can hurt the supplier's bottom line.

I doubt you will see the products back on the shelf again in the store you found them in.

That is the down side to these deals.

I doubt you will see the products back on the shelf again in the store you found them in.

Actually our Walmart has alternately carried the motors and then not carryied them. They close them out sometimes when they're doing a big overhaul of the section, such as in getting ready to stock for Christmas.

I don't know that it will continue like this but that's how it's been for the past few years.

Jesse; he has bags of them!! You'll have to ask him how many packs, but I
do know he said he wiped them all out. Showed them to us at one of our launches last year (all the while, the Wal - Marts near my house were selling
the same C6's for either $1.00 to $1.50 each, which is good enough for me).
I agree that $1.00 or $1.50 is good enough. Back when Target was clearancing out all of their Estes motors, I went to every Target I could reasonably get to and bought all of the 3-packs they had, either for $2.48 or $1.24 each. I still have 30 or so 3-packs each of C6 and B6 motors from Target, though I haven't done an inventory lately.

I agree that $1.00 or $1.50 is good enough. Back when Target was clearancing out all of their Estes motors, I went to every Target I could reasonably get to and bought all of the 3-packs they had, either for $2.48 or $1.24 each. I still have 30 or so 3-packs each of C6 and B6 motors from Target, though I haven't done an inventory lately.

It is also important to note IMO if you pay what they want then the price is their business not mine.
Cheers
fred

Well, this thread got me buying motors at Wal Mart again. Even though I have a stockpile. Last fall, they clearanced them at $3 a pack...not the steal some of you have gotten, but pretty good. (I also got a Gauchito and a Little Seven for $3 each.)

The rocket items are now back at the local Wal-Mart and the shelf says $4.97...and they ring up at $4.97 for now. So I'm picking up a pack or two when I go to Wal-Mart.

The best regular deals are the Estes Blast-Off packs at Michaels using their 50% off coupon when it is available. After tax, that works out to $1.24 a motor. At $4.97 a pack at Wal-Mart, after tax that works out to $1.80 a motor or $1.35 a motor (for 13mm's).

Last edited:
If you live in the metro Atlanta area. Try the Wal-Mart located at the intersection of Chamblee-Tucker and Peachtree Industrial Blvd. I just picked up several packs at $3.00 each.

:)Thanks to all of you I just scored 3-packs of Estes B6-4s for $3. Bought all they had left (6 3-packs). They already sold out all their c6-3s.:eek:

I hate you all! I checked my nearest Wal Mart to see if they had any of these deals and it seems they don't even have any rocketry stuff anymore at any price. I'll check back in a couple months to see if summer brings anything out there, but typically even when they did have motors they were the standard $4.97 per pack. One time I did get a pack of A10-3T that rang up at $3 but that may have been a mistake for all I know cuz they were marked at $4.97.

Glenn

Just hit the Wal-Mart in East Meadow, NY. C6-5's for $1/pk and C6-3's and C6-7's for $3/pk. Just 15 packs on the shelf so I cleaned them out.

Back