Wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjonate

Reaction score
So, as I am working on the 2” mailing tube project...
This will be my first legitimate “mid power” rocket... at least, that is the intention (it may on D’s, to stay in the ballpark, but it’s meant to go on E-F power).
I like the idea of baffles in the body tube, maybe even designing some sort of baffle at a BT joint that twists-and-locks. But what is the word on using steel wool as recovery wadding? I know that there has to be a balance between snuffing the EJ charge out and letting too much through to scorch things, but I would like to try.

Why not use dog barf (blow-in insulation, not the pink stuff). Cheap, lightweight, environmentally friendly, proven effective in thousands of launches.

So, as I am working on the 2” mailing tube project...
This will be my first legitimate “mid power” rocket... at least, that is the intention (it may on D’s, to stay in the ballpark, but it’s meant to go on E-F power).
I like the idea of baffles in the body tube, maybe even designing some sort of baffle at a BT joint that twists-and-locks. But what is the word on using steel wool as recovery wadding? I know that there has to be a balance between snuffing the EJ charge out and letting too much through to scorch things, but I would like to try.
Steel wool burns so its a no go, I believe what you are asking about is the stainless steel Chore Boy type pot scrubbers which are heavier gauge stainless and will not smolder or burn and have been used for years as an ejection baffle material.

I believe what you are asking about is the stainless steel Chore Boy type pot scrubbers which are heavier gauge stainless...
And which resembles wool more than steel wool does. Go figure.

I first saw that done in an Aerotech kit (which I've yet to build :rolleyes: :( ) and then copied it in one of my own builds. I learned that because the stuff collects ejection particles (as it should) you want to make it removable. Shake it out now and then, and replace it eventually.

That stuff also comes in copper. The weight shouldn't be noticeably different. (Stainless steel's density is about 7.85 g/cm³ and copper's is 8.96 g/cm³; that's 14% greater, but since there's not much of it, you wouldn't notice.) I wonder if the performance would be any different, but I doubt it. So whichever happens to be on the grocery store shelf or under your sink, go ahead and use it.

a simple old centuri baffle with fine mesh screen on the ejection charge size will stop all particulate from passing thru and allow only hot gas to venture forth. If you wanted to I suppose you could place the steel wool inside the baffle and that might help cool the gases somewhat by acting as a heat sink. I would also recommend using a heavy aluminum foil or the shell from a soft drink can to protect the first 3-4 in of the body tube above the engine from the fire 🔥 blast charge of DEF BP engines.... You are still going to need wadding....

Back