Wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Dee55

Reaction score
So if been reading here and there that you can use crepe paper as wadding. Is it true? If so can save some money😃

lakeroadster

Lonewolf.... No Club
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just be sure to get the flame resistant crepe paper.... and to test it once you get it home by tearing off a piece and trying to smoke it.. :p

Seriously though, don't smoke it but do try to see if it will burn. I've found the crepe paper they sell at Walmart won't burn.

Attachments

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So if been reading here and there that you can use crepe paper as wadding. Is it true? If so can save some money😃
I don't think you can beat dog barf for the cheapest per flight. You just have to buy a lifetime supply up front.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
I don't think you can beat dog barf for the cheapest per flight. You just have to buy a lifetime supply up front.
I agree but you end up buying more than you need but it won't go bad and you can share with your friends.

AfterBurners

Reaction score
Why don't you use recovery wadding with a parachute isn't that what the instructions say to do.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
This old Centuri "Stellar" wadding got me to try some flame resistant crepe paper. (See picture below)

Here's the type I ended up buying, don't unroll it and cut into 4.5" squares:
When I was a kid, my Mom could make it into flowers.

Takes a little getting used to, but I now prefer it over Estes style wadding.
Much cheaper too.

Attachments

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some crepe streamer at a Dollar store & tested its flammability. It charred but did not ignite. Two rolls for a buck. Each roll 1.75" wide by 70' long. Lots of wadding for $1. :)

Cosmoe

Reaction score
For those of you who remember FSI wadding, I recently came across some in an estate sale and really like it. Would anyone know of a commercially available version of it? It was a thin fibrous material that really works well since it tends to stay in the rocket after ejection and can be used several times.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And if you can find "Blow-In" cellulose insulation (Dog Barf) Estes gives you a nice amount of wadding with the Blast-Off pack Unfortunately Blast-off pack use to be cheap a few years ago but no longer...engine prices went up and up.