wadding vs baffle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I see they make baffles for about any size BT. Im just wondering how many use them? Do they change the cg of a rocket enough to matter? How many launches can you get out of one. Seems like they would get a build up of soot after awhile. Scotty Dog

I see they make baffles for about any size BT. Im just wondering how many use them? Do they change the cg of a rocket enough to matter? How many launches can you get out of one. Seems like they would get a build up of soot after awhile. Scotty Dog

S-D, I've got one rocket, the one I showed in a thread here on TRF, that's a 3" body that I built to fly the TARC (Team America Rocketry Challenge) task last year for a club contest, and to show my students how such a rocket might be built. The baffle in it is made from two bulkheads with two 1" holes cut into them, in which I glued a leftover 24mm motor tubes. Epoxied the heck out of everything, and stuffed 'em in the top of the booster with about 4-5" of space between the bulkheads. Mounted in the rocket, they're offset from each other so that there is no straight path for the hot particles to get out, just the gas.

So far, I'm up to about 32 launches on that rocket. Yes, there is some soot inside the baffle that I can shake out if need be, but why bother? There's not enough to upset the balance of the rocket (CG), and measuring the weight of the booster shows it hasn't increased by even 1 gram (OK, maybe .2 grams - POINT two!).

I'll let everyone know when the baffle fails, but I'm not expecting to do that notification any time soon.

I'm sold on 'em - haven't had a problem one with any hot particulate matter scorching a chute since I've started using them. My next big rocket, a 4" Samurai from Binder, has one that's primarily for the motor backup to altimeter deployment of the drogue and main. I'll probably post a few pix of that when I ever get a chance to finish it (have been sponsoring an SLI team this year, and have had NO free time to work on my own projects! Argh!).

Baffles are generally cheaper in the long run as they will save you lots of heartache when you realized you didn't put enough wadding in:D But they will limit life to about 50 flights(when reinforced) not that you would get it back anyway........:dark:

Well, I am building a scratch rocket with a baffle used as the coupler, and the ground for the recovery system.

I have seen people fly AT rockets over and over and over without problems, I actually have an ARCAS that probably has 40+ flights in it.

If you do not want to use a baffle or wadding, get a nomex heat shield to attach to your shock cord.

But they will limit life to about 50 flights(when reinforced) not that you would get it back anyway........:dark:

Where did you get that number?

I've been flying AeroTech kits and using AeroTech-like baffles in other models for over twenty years.

I wore out rockets but the baffles still worked.

Where did you get that number?

I've been flying AeroTech kits and using AeroTech-like baffles in other models for over twenty years.

I wore out rockets but the baffles still worked.

It was probably just a guess:rolleyes:

Like I said my arcas will probably be hitting 50 soon, so i guess we'll find out.

I would like to make a point that my the baffle in my mustang is actually outlasting my mustang. It's really beat up.

Also, my arcas's baffle has lasted through several crash landings, bonus delays, early deployments ect. ect. and The baffle, cooling mesh, and screw eye don't seem to want to give up.

I was refering to the plywood baffles :D the steelmesh should last a bit longer

I was refering to the plywood baffles :D the steelmesh should last a bit longer

OK, I'll call -- and ask a second time: where did you get that number? Can you point to any published info (web or in print) that backs up that statement?

If not, I suspect you're wrong - coating the baffles with epoxy should be enough to prevent damage for a long, long time.

As for sizes, I have a cloned EAC Viper that I made using a baffle scratched from a BT-50 coupler and a couple of very thin G10 disks. A series of 1/8" holes in each disk, turned as to be out of line and it works great. I was able to place it at the CG so it dosn't affect stability. I glued a small wood chunk to the center of the forward disk and inserted a small screw eye for the shockcord mount. I have a dozen or so flights on it and have had no damage to the plastic Estes Chute. I'm currently converting my whole fleet to baffles where I can.

OK, I'll call -- and ask a second time: where did you get that number? Can you point to any published info (web or in print) that backs up that statement?

If not, I suspect you're wrong - coating the baffles with epoxy should be enough to prevent damage for a long, long time.

oNCE AGAIN I WAS REFERRING TO BAFFLES IN STOCK CONDITION

Well, I am building a scratch rocket with a baffle used as the coupler, and the ground for the recovery system.

I have seen people fly AT rockets over and over and over without problems, I actually have an ARCAS that probably has 40+ flights in it.

If you do not want to use a baffle or wadding, get a nomex heat shield to attach to your shock cord.
After I started this thread ,I realized that I should have included shields. so-so much to choice from :confused: Were would one position one of these baffle things- how far from the end of the motor, lets say, ummm, on a Dynastar Snarky?, Scotty Dog

....so-so much to choice from :confused:

That's what makes this such an individualised hobby - everyone can pretty much do what they want, how they want.

Were would one position one of these baffle things- how far from the end of the motor, lets say, ummm, on a Dynastar Snarky?, Scotty Dog

Generally, you put it as forward as possible. If you put the baffle at the very end of the booster section, you can help prevent zippers to the booster. Putting the baffle forward helps move the CG forward which usually helps with the stability of the rocket, even small ones.

Iceburg lettuce works great for bigger rockets while Brussel sprouts are best for smaller ones :D

I have been using dog barf for all my ejection protection needs now for quite a while, but I have had a few instances where I did not add enough and had burnt elastic. I do feel that I will be adding baffles to most all of my future builds. After epoxy coating a baffle I can not see how it would wear out from normal use any time soon.

Back