Wadding for larger diameter rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overklock

Reaction score
Hey folks, just getting back into rocketry after quite a few years off. I have an old Mega Der Red max I plan on launching again soon. As you know it has a 4" diameter body, meaning it takes a considerable amount of wadding.

My questions is is there a better solution that people generally use for larger diameter rockets? Thanks.

Nomex.

With dog barf, I've found making a layer cake with regular wadding and dog barf saves on the amount of wadding sheets and works really well. Wadding on the ends and a layer in the middle.

Nomex.

With dog barf, I've found making a layer cake with regular wadding and dog barf saves on the amount of wadding sheets and works really well. Wadding on the ends and a layer in the middle.

to clarify, when using the nomex, do you still need the dog barf?

to clarify, when using the nomex, do you still need the dog barf?
I think most people use the Nomex only. The Nomex isn't put in as wadding, you form a cup with it, put the parachute in the cup then put it all down the tube. The bottom and sides of the folded parachute are thus protected.

Personally I just use nomex cloths or deployment bags.
I’ve never heard of a deployment bag…

when you use nomex cloths, do you wrap the parachute in it? Or just stuff the nomex cloth down like any old wadding?

I’ve never heard of a deployment bag…

when you use nomex cloths, do you wrap the parachute in it? Or just stuff the nomex cloth down like any old wadding?
a D-bag is made of nomex, and the chute is stuffed inside, its a special set up that helps ensure larger chutes open properly and reliably.

Like others, I toss in a bit of barf before the nomex burrito goes in.

There are some videos somewhere that show wrapping the chute up in nomex. It really is like wrapping a burrito. 😀

Like others, I toss in a bit of barf before the nomex burrito goes in.

There are some videos somewhere that show wrapping the chute up in nomex. It really is like wrapping a burrito. 😀

thanks! Now just trying to find some cellulose insulation. Definitely not on Amazon…

thanks! Now just trying to find some cellulose insulation. Definitely not on Amazon…

Large home improvement stores. Our nearby store will sometimes have pallets of "scratch and dent" bags that are discounted. Makes that stuff a really good deal. I paid just a few bucks for a bale that was torn open a bit.

Large home improvement stores. Our nearby store will sometimes have pallets of "scratch and dent" bags that are discounted. Makes that stuff a really good deal. I paid just a few bucks for a bale that was torn open a bit.

i wasn’t seeing it on the Home Depot website, but I’ll take a second look. Any brand recommendations?
And totally, I’ll keep the fiberglass itches at bay!

Dino CHutes make a chute protector that has a petal design...in 2.6", 3" and 4" sizes
https://www.dinochutes.com/Petal-Protector-3-Petal3.htmthey have a double thickness on the bottom that fits the tube similar to a piston ejection, and then it has 4 or more "petals" that come up the sides to encase your chute and has a button hole like the nomex to run your shock cord through...

Yup, a couple of handfuls of dog barf and then the Nomex/chute burrito on top.
A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to find two bales of cellulose insulation on the side of the road with a "free" sign taped to them.....perfect! I'll never, ever run out.

If the rocket is long enough, I like to put baffles in my rockets. Half moon baffles or Binder Design Velociraptor style baffles. As long as the motor will clear the back end of it, you're good, and you don't have to worry about expendables (such as dog barf).

My low and mid power builds all use the cellulose dog barf for wadding. I am still using the same bale I bought nearly 6 years ago.

On all of my high power, dual deployment rockets, I use nomex chute protectors, either from Recon Recovery (Wildman) or TopFlite Recovery. I have also started using deployment bags on my larger builds, and they work great. Like many have mentioned, I tend to use a loose handful of the dog barf on my 4" and smaller high power rockets with the nomex as insurance. All of the larger builds have deployment bags and kevlar harnesses.

In rockets (3" and up) I use a Nomex parachute protector.

https://topflightrecoveryllc.homestead.com/page3.html
View attachment 504964

These blankets are rarely, if ever, made out of nomex. Where I worked, electricians had nomex coveralls for working around high voltage areas, and I have yet to see a parachute protector that is made from nomex . . . it’s just too expensive.

Sorry, not meaning to preach, probably everyone knows this too . . . it’s like the adjustable wrench we all call a crescent wrench.

These blankets are rarely, if ever, made out of nomex. Where I worked, electricians had nomex coveralls for working around high voltage areas, and I have yet to see a parachute protector that is made from nomex . . . it’s just too expensive.

Sorry, not meaning to preach, probably everyone knows this too . . . it’s like the adjustable wrench we all call a crescent wrench.
Sooo...what are they made of then? Nomex comes in multiple weaves, weights, colors etc. Every chute protector I have bought are afaik are actual nomex OR an aramid fiber like nomex. Or are you saying they are not Nomex by DuPont?

Sooo...what are they made of then? Nomex comes in multiple weaves, weights, colors etc. Every chute protector I have bought are afaik are actual nomex OR an aramid fiber like nomex. Or are you saying they are not Nomex by DuPont?

Top-Flite Recovery is the only one who claims to use nomex TM.

LOC calls their protectors Banwear, made from cotton/nylon coated with a flame resistant coating.

Dino chutes calls their product chute protectors, fire resistant fabric or flame retardant. Aramid thread (kevlar) is used to sew the edges. In fact, Dino chutes calls their product a cheaper alternative to nomex.

Literally every manufacturer that makes chute protectors, calls them chute protectors. Nomex is too expensive to use. The real benefit that nomex protective clothing provides, is that it doesn’t melt to the wearer’s skin, which will happen around high voltage areas.

Edit: I love it when I did a search, that one search showed Dino chutes nomex protectors, but when you get there, they say their fabric is a cheaper alternative to nomex.

I have to admit that there are more vendors than I thought that are carrying some sort of nomex protectors. Rocketman carries a blend of kevlar and nomex protectors and chute bags. Giant Leap sells kevlar & Sirius Rocketry sells Top-Flite nomex (tm) chute protectors. while Jacobs Rocketry has an interesting study that they show that wadding and a tight-weave polyester works best. They say that even kevlar and nomex are highly permeable and that without wadding, they will allow gases through to damage your parachute.

Last edited:
You can also make/use "cups" or "pistons" that the parachute sits in, and act like the wad in a shotgun shell. Really, only the bottom needs to be tough enough to withstand the hot ejection charge gasses. You can make it with a cardboard bottom, or make the entire thing from heavy card stock and paint the area to be exposed to heat with several layers of glue. You need to take into consideration how the shock cord will work if you use one. If the shock cord is attached to the body tube (or centering ring) below the cup, it shouldn't be a problem, but if the shock cord attaches to the inside of the body tube *above* where the cup will sit, the cup needs to fit loosly enough to slide past the attachment point.

Back