Wadding/dog barf vs. Nomex parachute protectors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I'm about to start building some larger rockets (2-3 inch airframes - larger for me) and I suddenly found out about these Nomex parachute protectors, and a quick Internet search told me these come in smaller sizes for smaller rockets.

Question is: when do you move from using traditional wadding or dog barf up to a parachute protector? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? It seems like a reusable wadding would be superior, but do they wear out for people to use them on all their rockets? I'm putting together a Quest Quad Runner (nearly 2 inch airframe), and while looking at the Apogee page on that rocket for more information I saw that "people who bought this rocket also bought..." reusables. And I'm building the Estes Leviathan soon-ish.

In this video, the guy uses Nomex, which is how I found out about it. I guess I'd heard of it, but I thought you had to chase "reusable wadding" around the field to recover it, rather than having it threaded onto the shock cord. Ha.

[video=youtube;_vNHmPpVFbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNHmPpVFbk[/video]

Anyway, is the Nomex superior? Is it simply better for larger rockets? Is it worth putting in smaller rockets, or does the cheapness of cellulose make it a better choice than a Nomex protector which might wear out over time?

Depending on the rocket and the room in the parachute bay I uses both.

The Nomex protects the parachute and the dog barf takes up the extra volume in the bay allowing the BP ejection charge to be more efficient.

For me it comes down to the shock cord/recovery harness. If it is made from a flameproof material, then I use a Nomex protector. I don't have to worry about burning the shock cord. But if I am using an elastic Estes-type cord that will burn, I use dogbarf to protect the cord as well as the chute.

Back