VW Fans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing $150K - 395K now here in Oz.

Finally. My father has a '67 coupe he bought wrecked back in 1970 for peanuts. He and my oldest brother fixed it. Never been worth too much to anyone but us, as sentimental.

When I went looking for a new car after graduation with my dad in '72 you could buy a new Datsun for $2K.
$49 down and $49 a month.
Saw a Jaguar XKE in the showroom of a dealer. Sticker price was $9K.

1972 Ferrari Daytona was... IIRC, around $15k new and the fastest production car up to that point.

I do not go by what that journal has ever wrote for more the 4 decades; I consider it misinformation most of the time.
OK.
Then how about this:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2023-cars-com-affordability-report-best-value-cars-461158/Or this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43611570/average-new-car-price-down-still-high/Or this:
https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/when-will-car-prices-drop/"According to Kelley Blue Book data, new car average transaction prices (ATP) remained steady month-over-month in April at $48,275"

OK.
Then how about this:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2023-cars-com-affordability-report-best-value-cars-461158/Or this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43611570/average-new-car-price-down-still-high/Or this:
https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/when-will-car-prices-drop/"According to Kelley Blue Book data, new car average transaction prices (ATP) remained steady month-over-month in April at $48,275"

You can keep posting all the MSM stuff you want and I will quit trying to argue with you. Most of that is dealers that are ripping folks off over MSRP and not negotiating at all. I posted what decent cars and trucks cost here already. Other then extra costs to ship to your Island and I can understand that; is areas they are high priced in is due to greed.

There is no difference in selling a car in Toledo and one in Boston or Austin yet they cost more there then here; yet in the Toyota case they were made in San Antonio TX.

A famous PodCaster in a not so good price wise city in Texas flew to Idaho to get his daughter a car at a decent not ripoff price and drove it back.

The reason car prices are so high the past few years is mainly because of supply chain issues. The factories cannot produce enough cars to meet demand because of a shortage of electrical components.. No chips, no computer modules, less cars being produced. And those that are being produced are the higher end models. Makes business sense. Would you put limited modules in an expensive car and sell it or in a cheaper one? Law of Supply and Demand: reduced inventory, higher demand, higher prices.
As for the VW electric bus, they sell for around $60K+ in Europe according to the article. I would be surprised if the US version doesn't sell for more, since it's a longer version.
But the hippies of the 70s are now the mid and upper managers of the 20s.
They might have deep enough pockets.

Last edited:
The reason car prices are so high the past few years is mainly because of supply chain issues. The factories cannot produce enough cars to meet demand because of a shortage of electrical components.. No chips, no computer modules, less cars being produced. And those that are being produced are the higher end models. Makes business sense. Would you put limited modules in an expensive car and sell it or a cheaper one? Law of Supply and Demand: reduced inventory, higher demand, higher prices.
As for the VW electric bus, they sell for around $60K+ in Europe according to the article. I would be surprised if the US version doesn't sell for more, since it's a longer version.
But the hippies of the 70s are now the mid and upper managers of the 20s.
They might have deep enough pockets.

That was 2 years, ago. Why are they not high here except now the HUGE Pickups ? and the SUVs the same size ?

The Toyota dealer emails me monthly to trade my Tundra on a new car. One day I will. The reason is the Tundras are hard to get due to demand.

and NO the real hippies are not mid and upper managers, I grew up in that era. The Mid managers and some VPs were week end hippies, they did not live in bare feet and live in the mini busses .

If you want to see some here is a recent movie during those times and low cost to rent and very fun even if your not religious, view the trailers and see:

https://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Revolution-Joel-Courtney/dp/B0B8JGNRWJ/

Last edited:
and NO the real hippies are not mid and upper managers, I grew up in that era. The Mid managers and some VPs were week end hippies, they did not live in bare feet and live in the mini busses .
I grew up in that era as well.
Heh, I did not mean that LITERALLY.
I meant that the 20 something yr. old hippies then are now seniors and better off financially.
So maybe they will decide they can afford a $70K piece of nostalgia.

The Toyota dealer emails me monthly to trade my Tundra on a new car. One day I will. The reason is the Tundras are hard to get due to demand.

If demand is high then you'd probably do better by selling it on your own.
Cuz, you know, dealers are greedy. They're going to take a cut. They're not in it for their health.
Most of that is dealers that are ripping folks off over MSRP and not negotiating at all.
Peace.

There is a thing about some trade ins. My Track Mustang they gave me $4K more it was worth when buying the Tundra at $38k that listed at $44K. Trick, Toyota only sells low in September; no other times during that period of the way car sales went.

Then they did what I would not have the time to do. They raised the price a little high, showed in videos and advertisements how great my car was on their used lot. Most dealers will lower the trade in on "customized cars", they gave me more for it. Look at the used car appraising websites when they ask you about aftermarket stuff that the price goes lower.

The guy that bought it drove 10 hours from Mississippi to buy it. At the time I did not have the time in my busy job at the time to do all that.

Edit: I guess I have the time to do that now, but the issue is payments, it's not like someone is going to give me $29000 in cash for my truck; nor will I take a check. In 2010 getting 7K in cash for a Pontiac G5 commuter I sold was no big deal.

PPPS: So for 10K more then normal trade-in & price cuts I had an easy pleasy trade in and purchase

Last edited:
May I point out that a 2018 Tundra is:
$38k + 15 years($2k/year) = $68k

While the 2024 VW van can be projected to be around:
$60k + 15 years($500/year) = $68k

I mean, you can tweak the numbers but you can’t say the VW van is much more expensive.

I was always in awe of the simplicity of the Type 1 Bug and its variants. Simple = Cheap and Reliable. Separate the cylinders, put big fins on them, don't overstress the engine, and you can make it air cooled and eliminate a ton of potential problems. Make the chassis a stamped steel pan and bolt the body on. Put the engine where the driving wheels are and get rid of the prop shaft and separate differential case (back when all cars were RWD). Use torsion bars instead of coil springs. I could go on and on... just an engineering masterpiece IMHO.

I was always in awe of the simplicity of the Type 1 Bug and its variants. Simple = Cheap and Reliable. Separate the cylinders, put big fins on them, don't overstress the engine, and you can make it air cooled and eliminate a ton of potential problems. Make the chassis a stamped steel pan and bolt the body on. Put the engine where the driving wheels are and get rid of the prop shaft and separate differential case (back when all cars were RWD). Use torsion bars instead of coil springs. I could go on and on... just an engineering masterpiece IMHO.
When I was in college I saw an ad for the Bradley GT conversion kit.
Gull wing doors, pop up headlights.
Uses your own VW bug engine and chassis. You unbolt the VW body and bolt on the Bradley fiberglass shell.
Then install the wiring harness.
But the price was just as much as a new Toyota sub-compact and didn't even include the motor, chassis and instrumentation.
So I passed.
Sigh.
1686090585139.png

Yep, back in the day the simplicity of a VW (bug or van) was a huge part of its appeal. In college we once rebuilt a VW bug motor over a weekend. Block the engine , unbolt it, two guys lift the rear of the bug and walk it forward past the motor, two guys pick the motor up and put it on the kitchen table for a rebuild. Easy.

I’ll never forget the old phrase about a VW motor . . . “loose valves are happy valves”.

When I was in college I saw an ad for the Bradley GT conversion kit.
Gull wing doors, pop up headlights.
Uses your own VW bug engine and chassis. You unbolt the VW body and bolt on the Bradley fiberglass shell.
Then install the wiring harness.
But the price was just as much as a new Toyota sub-compact and didn't even include the motor, chassis and instrumentation.
So I passed.
Sigh.
View attachment 584785

My HS girlfriend's dad had one, about 90% built. I think it was just missing the headlights and some trim pieces, and he only had one seat mounted in it. Honestly, it didn't look as nice as that one... kit cars rarely live up to the pictures.

May I point out that a 2018 Tundra is:
$38k + 15 years($2k/year) = $68k

While the 2024 VW van can be projected to be around:
$60k + 15 years($500/year) = $68k

I mean, you can tweak the numbers but you can’t say the VW van is much more expensive.

2018 to 2023 is 15 years ?? I have no idea on your math

2018 to 2023 is 15 years ?? I have no idea on your math
You can jab away for no reason, but I replied before you posted:

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡

As for serious things: I know I'm the only TF fan in here so far, but I just found out the latest TF movie has a VW van in it. It's the Wheeljack character's form for this movie:

"According to Kelley Blue Book data, new car average transaction prices (ATP) remained steady month-over-month in April at $48,275"
I'd be curious how this is calculated but I think it is somewhat meaningless. There are Ferraris and Bugattis that cost very much and probably skew the average. For that matter you can probably buy a Chevy Suburban for nearly $100k, I know that the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer is up there close and the highest Cadillac V is also way up there. I think an average of the cars that most people buy, the Toyotas and such, would be more meaningful. Leave out the small percentage of very expensive vehicles. Every vehicle I've ever bought cost less than $48,275 and I didn't consider all of them to be below average.

I think most new sedans and crossovers that the Average Joe would buy are in the $30K-$35K range. Good used vehicles are $20K-$30K... it's worth getting a used one IF there's a lot of warranty left. Trucks bump this figure up...

I paid $26K for my 2019 Tacoma, plus $5K for a 5-year warranty, however a new one would have been nearly $40K. That's if I could get one... none of the local dealers had any, at least in the trim level I wanted (2WD SR5 double-cab). All the dealer stock were the built-out 4WD models, over $50K, so I can see that $48K figure being a median number.

I'd be curious how this is calculated but I think it is somewhat meaningless. There are Ferraris and Bugattis that cost very much and probably skew the average. For that matter you can probably buy a Chevy Suburban for nearly $100k, I know that the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer is up there close and the highest Cadillac V is also way up there. I think an average of the cars that most people buy, the Toyotas and such, would be more meaningful. Leave out the small percentage of very expensive vehicles. Every vehicle I've ever bought cost less than $48,275 and I didn't consider all of them to be below average.
It is an average of all cars (or whatever category they selected). An average is a very basic measure in statistics. You can cherry-pick your categories to get whatever answer you want, but that isn't how you should use statistics ;) .

While this is 2 years old, it should offer insight on their average car price. There probably aren't enough Ferraris and Bugattis sold to move the needle:

https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2021-06-2...d-High-for-May,-According-to-Kelley-Blue-Book

It is an average of all cars (or whatever category they selected). An average is a very basic measure in statistics. You can cherry-pick your categories to get whatever answer you want, but that isn't how you should use statistics ;) .
Agreed. They should really use Median since even though Bugattis, McLarens and such aren't sold in large numbers, they can really skew the average ($38k vs. $1MM).

A famous PodCaster in a not so good price wise city in Texas flew to Idaho to get his daughter a car at a decent not ripoff price and drove it back.
I feel that's more a matter of local supply and demand. Many are charged 10x+ as much for something at a ball game or stadium, but guess what? They still sell and continue because that's the market.

In 2001, I flew to another city further North to pick up a 2002 Subaru WRX below dealer price back when they were high demand and often selling over list in NYC where I was. Were the New Yorkers being ripped off? Nope, they wanted something with limited supply and were willing to pay over list. I wasn't, so I went out of the way and spent time to save a few thousand dollars.

To clarify my viewpoint, average is good for things with narrow spreads such as Age since usually it'll be 0 to a bit over 100. However, if you have wide spreads where a few values can be in the millions, those few can dramatically throw off the average.

The Median new car purchase price may actually be under $40k.

The problem with Average is that it's highly dependent on large sample sizes to be reasonably accurate, whereas Median is somewhat less influenced by sample size. Theoretically with a large enough sample size they'll basically converge... assuming a nice Gaussian distribution.

The problem with Average is that it's highly dependent on large sample sizes to be reasonably accurate, whereas Median is somewhat less influenced by sample size. Theoretically with a large enough sample size they'll basically converge... assuming a nice Gaussian distribution.
Not really?

Same sample size assumed here and a very good example of what I was talking about...

Screenshot_20230607_001323_Google.jpg

Back