VW Fans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least this one has a front end on it. The originals had almost zero protection from front end damage.

While they're at it how about bringing back an electric Thing?
Isn't that known to be amazingly unsafe? Looks like the Moke.

https://mokeinternational.com/
The latest on VW Buzz range: "All VW would tell is that it will be somewhere between 200-300 miles." which means 3-4 hours of non-stop driving between meals, and all I would ever need for any kind of road trip along the charging networks.

https://electrek.co/2023/06/02/vw-reveals-three-row-id-buzz-for-north-america-sales-start-2024/

New all-electric minibus???? Hot Dog!!!!!!! An all electric "Mystery Machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

You wont be able to afford it like the hippies could in the 60s ....

So it is a rich Yuppie Bus now as VW knows where the money is at now , simple Economics 101

Agreed! I'm not certain that these vehicles have all the bugs worked out either. I was being silly after having spent most of the afternoon with my Grandkids watching "Scooby Do, Where Are You?"

… like the hippies could in the 60s ....
Agreed! …

“According to Kelley Blue Book data, new car average transaction prices (ATP) remained steady month-over-month in April at $48,275”

For that amount, one is better off with an EV as there won’t be the added $2k yearly in gasoline. The difference between battery cost and total amount of gasoline in a car’s life isn’t that much.

Budget-minded people like me get 2nd hand cars anyway. I’d guess that’s how hippies and/or yippies got their 60’s campers.

I've seen their electric VW Bus at the NY auto show and I'm not impressed. Having owned a few VW vans (and still have an air-cooled beetle); it just doesn't tickle my fancy in the right way. If you want to see an electric van that emulates the VW bus more than the new VW Bus, look at the Canoo electric. Posting a photo below...

Attachments

• Canoo_PickupTruck_CamperShell.jpg
    Canoo_PickupTruck_CamperShell.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
I got my drivers license in 1972 and it's neat to see how far we have come in that time. Back then I would have argued that a normal car would cost 40K dollars in 2023

When the Sun shines on the Solar Farm
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
This van will fly the planets
AI will steer the cars
This is the charging of the Age of Aquarius
Age of Aquarius
Aquarius
Aquarius
Aquarius
Aquarius
Let the sunshine, let the sun shine in
The sun shine in
Let the sunshine, let the sun shine in
The sun shine in

I got my drivers license in 1972 and it's neat to see how far we have come in that time. Back then I would have argued that a normal car would cost 40K dollars in 2023
And you'd be right. Average car nowadays is around $45K.
When I went looking for a new car after graduation with my dad in '72 you could buy a new Datsun for $2K.
$49 down and $49 a month.
Saw a Jaguar XKE in the showroom of a dealer. Sticker price was $9K.
Gas was 39 cents a gallon.
Sigh.

And you'd be right. Average car nowadays is around $45K.
When I went looking for a new car after graduation with my dad in '72 you could buy a new Datsun for $2K.
$49 down and $49 a month.
Saw a Jaguar XKE in the showroom of a dealer. Sticker price was $9K.
Gas was 39 cents a gallon.
Sigh.

$2,000 in 1972 is worth $14,514.98 today​

This is a Larger Luxury Car, [Or as in NASCAR also a racer] ; $29,600

The commuter Corolla SUV Cross like I would buy next is $23,000; I could trade in my Tundra with only 16,500 miles on it and get money back or extended warrantees or both.

I think prices are higher on your Island you are on.

1685829987644.png

1685830079348.png

Cars I think is one thing that has sped ahead of the overall inflation rate. They cost a lot more now. But you also get a lot more with a modern car than you used to. Way better options and standard features, more fuel efficiency, longer lasting, safer, less polluting.

Cars I think is one thing that has sped ahead of the overall inflation rate. They cost a lot more now. But you also get a lot more with a modern car than you used to. Way better options and standard features, more fuel efficiency, longer lasting, safer, less polluting.

Yes, they last far far longer ; don't gulp as much gas, and don't make your eyes weep from hydrocarbons from exhaust while you fill them up.

As a teenage gas station attendant when we had to pump the gas for you, those big block Duce and a Quarter boats sure would make your eyes weep if they were more then 4 years old.

Last edited:
$2,000 in 1972 is worth $14,514.98 today
And the cars in 1972 in the $2,000 to $2500 range had bias ply tires, point and condenser ignition, drum brakes, carburetors, AM radios, vinyl seats, no air bags, no A/C and no computer modules.

Cars in 1972 were eons ahead of 50 year old cars at the time. Very advanced and they were loaded with features relative to the time period.
Nailed it!

And the cars in 1972 had bias ply tires, point and condenser ignition, drum brakes, carburetors, AM radios, vinyl seats, no air bags, no A/C except on the luxury models and no computer modules.

Nailed it!

But the Average price of a "Car" is not 45K , I think you are thinking the average price of a Small Pickup truck or medium size SUV.

My Huge Tundra 5.7L TRD SR5 [loaded] I got for $38K in 2018, and it sells for 60K today and you can't even get the V8 in that, only the Turbo 6 that won't hold up as long. Turbos kill the life expectancy out of the motors.

The record Tundra is 1 million miles by an Oil Worker in KS/OK

But the Average price of a "Car" is not 45K , I think you are thinking the average price of a Small Pickup truck or medium size SUV.

My Huge Tundra 5.7L TRD SR5 [loaded] I got for $38K in 2018, and it sells for 60K today and you can't even get the V8 in that, only the Turbo 6 that won't hold up as long. Turbos kill the life expectancy out of the motors.

The record Tundra is 1 million miles by an Oil Worker in KS/OK
Um, no.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rage-new-car-price-all-time-high-a4060089312/

Back