Vulture I - a 13mm downscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
This is a 13mm downscale of an original design I made long, long ago. I lost the original many years ago, but recently bought some parts from eRockets and re-made it. Here is the PDF. I have not built this one yet, but I plan to use a plastic BT-5 nose cone rather than make a paper nose for it. I like laminating the contoured and tapered fins with smaller and smaller fin shapes, so you get a nice sharp edge, but a decent enough root for glueing to the body. I used a couple of fin shapes from the Centuri Fin Guide Pack, which came with their Designer's Special box of parts that I had when I was a kid.

screen shot:
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.29.16 PM.png

Full size was an 18mm min dia rocket:
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 7.27.38 PM.png

Attachments

• Vulture13.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 12
Actually the remake I made with a 13mm mount, so I would not lose this one. Here they are next to each other.
A210E826-2B50-49EB-9B66-561C8F2B4174.jpeg
The plastic cone is a little shorter than I wanted, but I have a few of those and need to use them up.

Yes, they are very similar. The Li'l Herc nose cone in BT-5 size would look better on this one. I remeber just liking the fins patterns in the guide pack from Centuri that had rounded edges, they looked smooth and cool.

I just might leave the cone white, or maybe will paint it black. I don't think I can color match it the right orange. The paper model will look better after a clear coat. On the painted model you can see my attempt at making white letters on a decal by using white background ink jet paper and printing an orange rectangle to sort of blend with the orange paint. Large color blocks like that don't print too well on my printer, so it kind of came out splotchy. And the white portions are translucent and let some of the darker orange paint show through.

my older thread when I built the full size version ...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...ers-special-fin-patterns.139486/#post-1691301

Last edited:
Back