Vulcan Rocket Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nraymondb

Reaction score
Just curious if Vulcan made any 98mm motors, moonburners maybe an L.
This motor is 98mm 15.5" case length its a moon burner with a huge tracking smoke column.
IMG_4018.jpgIMG_4017.jpg
I contacted Aerotech and they said it wasn't theirs.
Thanks in advance.

Thats what Aerotech said as well. The epoxy and nozzle type looked like Vulcan, but I've never heard of Vulcan 98mm motors.

Yup right up thru 98 mm O motors . Tom Binford flew a nice Smokey Sam O in one of his cloudbuster series a number of years back . Burned awesome .

Yup right up thru 98 mm O motors . Tom Binford flew a nice Smokey Sam O in one of his cloudbuster series a number of years back . Burned awesome .

Thats interesting learned something new, that Vulcan made. IF this is in face a vulcan i wonder what type of propellant and a possible designation

Interesting, Possible to say how you came by it? Estate sale? Private sale or someone gave it to you not knowing what it was? Kurt
Someone offered it to me in a bundle of three different motors. I purchased the motor without me or the seller knowing exactly what it was.

Where'd you find that thing?? If it is Vulcan, I'd guess it was a custom one-time job. Please fly it and take pictures.

The Vulcan O motors that I flew (in 1990 and 1992) were 110mm (4-5/16") diameter. One was Smoky Sam and the others were Hellfire. These were custom made and I would expect any other large Vulcan motors were also made to order. The largest regularly available Vulcan motors were the L750 (52 mm diameter). I still have the case from the smoky O3000 (55" long). All 3 of the Vulcan O motors that I flew were moon burners.

The Vulcan O motors that I flew (in 1990 and 1992) were 110mm (4-5/16") diameter. One was Smoky Sam and the others were Hellfire. These were custom made and I would expect any other large Vulcan motors were also made to order. The largest regularly available Vulcan motors were the L750 (52 mm diameter). I still have the case from the smoky O3000 (55" long). All 3 of the Vulcan O motors that I flew were moon burners.

Thanks Tom!

Hey Nik,

Sorry I didn't get to the email...it's been busy! Looks Vulcan-ish, but the forward end looks a bit different than what I'm used to from Mr. Dixon. But if its a custom job, who knows?!? I have a 3" L/M from Vulcan from ~1987...case and rear look similar (though it has Bates grains); forward end was several inches of openness....apparently to couple directly to an airframe:cool:.

I think we should have a gathering of old Vulcan motors this fall....just sayin'!

Back