Vrc-xii Rocket Camp!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by PunkRocketScience
Soon? (Sorry if that sounds grumpy...)

Isn't it still today?

I'm sure it is... when I ask what today was, my wife said Friday, 4/6. When I asked what 4/5 was, she said yesterday. So I'm sure it is today. Therefore, they are posted.

Enjoy.
Nick

Originally posted by EMRR
Isn't it still today?

I'm sure it is... when I ask what today was, my wife said Friday, 4/6. When I asked what 4/5 was, she said yesterday. So I'm sure it is today. Therefore, they are posted.

Enjoy.
Nick

Nick! Dang that's funny... Gonna have to try to use that one on my boss....

Originally posted by BobCox
Isn't it displayed in the flight summary list?

Bob,

Yes you are right! The speed is displayed in the RockSim flight summary list, but I want to build a real rocket and confirm I got a BP motor design to go faster than Mach 1.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Nick,

When will you be posting the results of the other events?

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
Bob,

Yes you are right! The speed is displayed in the RockSim flight summary list, but I want to build a real rocket and confirm I got a BP motor design to go faster than Mach 1.

The trick would be building the rocket large enough to take a G-Wiz or RDAS...which would be difficult because then you are not likely to be able to make it past mach....

D'oh! I guess I've got RockSim on the brain. I didn't realize that you were talking about real world instead of virtual.

Originally posted by PunkRocketScienceThe trick would be building the rocket large enough to take a G-Wiz or RDAS...which would be difficult because then you are not likely to be able to make it past mach....

A PicoAlt PICO-LO4 weighs only 4.5 grams without battery and should fit inside a BT5. Since it uses a pressure sensor instead of an accelerometer, it may not give accurate altitude readings at the mach transition. On the other hand, that pressure spike at the mach transition may be all you need to confirm that you went supersonic.

Nick,

When will you be posting the results of the other events?

As I understand it, Doug is working through 4 and 5. So when I get them, I'll get busy.

Nick

I have not been feeling well, and the meds make me tired so it seems I can only do a little at a time before I nod off.

Working on 4 now, almost done it. Only a few more sims to sim, all the graphics are done. I will try to get 5 done today too.

Event 4 is complete except for one entry... where I am waiting an e-mail for settings...

Several people did not include flight settings for their events, so I have to figure out what you wanted from the sims provided. Guessing the launch rod angle took some effort. One contestant sent me a file with no motor, angle settings, and there was no flight simulations included with the file.. and I just noticed it (although I asked this person several times to send me the flight settings for his events before hand)... So back at the waiting game :(

Oh, two people DQ'ed. One treed and one that failed to capture a picture.

Doug-

Not to sound like a heartless jerk, but come on... If you asked several times and still haven't gotten launch info, I'd DQ the entrant.

You are getting run ragged on this one and people have been given enough chances. The entry page is EXPLICIT about what needed to be included with the entries and that info should have been given to you weeks ago.

Even for people who are entering their first contest, there are rules that they need to learn to follow if they want to play. Enough is enough. Let's get on with it.

And... I'm just about ready to announce our next (non-VC) contest.

Regards,
Nick

Not to sound like a heartless jerk, but come on... If you asked several times and still haven't gotten launch info, I'd DQ the entrant.

You are getting run ragged on this one and people have been given enough chances. The entry page is EXPLICIT about what needed to be included with the entries and that info should have been given to you weeks ago.

Even for people who are entering their first contest, there are rules that they need to learn to follow if they want to play. Enough is enough. Let's get on with it.

I agree with you completely.

Event 4 has been submitted.

Started event 5 but somehow the file did not save on the flashcard so I have to redo what I just did (i swear this has been happening a lot, where I save to the flash card, but it does not save it)

Originally posted by n3tjm
Event 5 done and EMRR has it. Anyone notice event 4 is now posted?

Doug,

I noticed.

I wanted to thank you for doing this contest. It is my first and hopefully there will be future contests to take part in. I have learned a lot about the program and had fun doing the events. I hope you are feeling better.

--- Ron

Aww...geez... I'm slipping! First to second, to a tie for second... Hope I can hold on!

We gotta get Bob Cox back... I don't feel comfortable smack-talkin' the newbies yet... That's half the fun! Guess I could take cheap shots at Bruce, but he's always so quiet and polite here....:D

Are you saying that I am not quiet and polite?

Hmmm... Not exactly what I was implying... But maybe I just got the feeling that you were into that part of the game because of you e-mail address...:D

There is a story behind that e-mail address (Bite Me Bob @ xxx.com).

At a previous employer there was a boss named Bob who was a first-class @$$4073. At lunch-time we would often play Quake or Duke Nukem, and many of our character names had "Bob" in them, most of them derogatory. After killing another character, we would get messages like "You just blew up Bob_XXXXX with the pipe bomb", or "Bob_YYYY just shredded you with the machine gun.".

Just our little way of stickin' it to da man.

Newbie Bonuses:

Ron Wirth 1.6
Chris Halinaty 1.6
Roy Lappalainen 1.6
Ben Levison 0.5
Jacob Gold 1.6
Roger Farris 1.6
David Hoffmeier 1.6

WOW! I didn't realize how many newbies you drew in!

Nick

Hmmm.... How about a crotchety old timer award on the next contest? I'm so senile that I can hardly work this computa-thingy.... :D

There is a story behind that e-mail address (Bite Me Bob @ xxx.com).

At a previous employer there was a boss named Bob who was a first-class @$$4073. At lunch-time we would often play Quake or Duke Nukem, and many of our character names had "Bob" in them, most of them derogatory. After killing another character, we would get messages like "You just blew up Bob_XXXXX with the pipe bomb", or "Bob_YYYY just shredded you with the machine gun.".

Just our little way of stickin' it to da man.

Yeah... We have the same kinda thing going with our Quake games at lunch... But the names are usually totally inappropriate to post here or something like "A Cute Little Kitten"... Resulting in "You just blew up A Cute Little Kitten with the pipe bomb" hehehe... Oh, how juvenille...

And besides.... Who needs manners if you are an Evil Overlord? Be sure to hold up your pinky when you decapitate you henchmen with your chainsaw....

Originally posted by n3tjm
Event 5 done and EMRR has it. Anyone notice event 4 is now posted?

Hey Nick-

Any idea when Event 5 (and the final scores) will be posted? I can't wait to see how badly I got beaten by the newbies....

Nick has event 5 results. I am finishing up the results but they should be done soon. Been working from 4am to about 6pm for the past couple days (2 different jobs)

Hey Nick-

Any idea when Event 5 (and the final scores) will be posted? I can't wait to see how badly I got beaten by the newbies....

Just got home and "discovered" that I do have Event 5 in the box.

Sorry for the long-drawn out posting of results. I'll get these up today.

Doug will get me the final soon.

Nick

Posted... and after participating in ALL 12 Virtual Rocket Contest... he has finally grabbed 1st place!

Congratulations... B R U C E !

Regards,
Nick

Oh, Yeah! Bruce is the MAN! Congrats on a looong overdue win! Congrats to Andy and Ben as well! You guys almost got me there at the end!:D

I can't believe how many times I checked EMRR for updates! Every time Doug posted that there was some sort of delay, I was in agony. I had a great time with this contest and can't wait for the next one so that I can apply all the lessons I learned and make a whole new batch of mistakes. (Darn wind in that camera event!)
Thanks Doug and Nick and everyone who competed. It was great fun!

Since no one else has asked yet... What is the "special prize" for winning the Fliskits Flea event?

It's nice to see that Andy Peart had a good time making an oddroc design for the marshmallow event like I did. How about an oddroc themed VRC in the future?

Back