Vought Slam- Missile From Hell

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2wander

MAC Performance Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to locate a scale drawing for a Ling-Temco-Vought Slam (Pluto) dubbed the "Missile From Hell". The project was started back in 1957 and was cancelled in July 1964. There is a scale drawing in "The Spaceship Handbook", but I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the book :wink:

Thank you,
Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry

Last edited:
If you can afford $8.00, you can grab a copy of "Aerospace Projects Review" ev2n1. It has a long article, including several drawings, on the Pluto.

See: https://aerospaceprojectsreview.com/ev2n1.htm

If you are not interested in the history, some drawings are also available. https://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm (search for Pluto) for $3.00. As far as I know, these drawings are the same as some of the ones in the article, but it may be beneficial to get this even if you buy the article. These are PDF's of the full D size drawings. The article only comes with pages formatted for 8x11 and 11x17.

The only problem with these drawings is that, while scale, they do not have individual dimensions. The pages have a rule on them but you will have to derive the dimensions.

If you can afford $8.00, you can grab a copy of "Aerospace Projects Review" ev2n1. It has a long article, including several drawings, on the Pluto.

See: https://aerospaceprojectsreview.com/ev2n1.htm

If you are not interested in the history, some drawings are also available. https://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/catalog/drawndoc.htm (search for Pluto) for $3.00. As far as I know, these drawings are the same as some of the ones in the article, but it may be beneficial to get this even if you buy the article. These are PDF's of the full D size drawings. The article only comes with pages formatted for 8x11 and 11x17.

The only problem with these drawings is that, while scale, they do not have individual dimensions. The pages have a rule on them but you will have to derive the dimensions.

Thanks for the excellent info. That's a source I wasn't aware of. I hated to buy the other book for the one page of info. needed.

Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry

I'm trying to locate a scale drawing for a Ling-Temco-Vought Slam (Pluto) dubbed the "Missile From Hell"......

There is a scale drawing in "The Spaceship Handbook", but I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the book :wink:

Thank you,
Mike Crupe
MAC Performance Rocketry

"The Spaceship Handbook" has gotten a little pricey in the second hand marketplace since it went out of print.......

I have two copies of the Spaceship Handbook (my wife bought it for me along with Rockets of the World and I already had a copy).

I will look it up and see if I can scan what is there.

Thanks guys!!!

I'll sort through the links and see what I can find. A 5.5" would be 7.15' tall and a 7.5" 9.75'. The original length and diameter were the only dimensions I had. Not sure if it will be stable with that big ram jet intake hanging off one side . I might be able to get away with it if the back of the intake was somehow left open, or make the intake as a removable part for flight? It would make an awesome kit in a 4" airframe......just saying.

Dan, If your able to do a scan that would be great!

Thanks again,
Mike Crupe
MAC

I have two copies of the Spaceship Handbook (my wife bought it for me along with Rockets of the World and I already had a copy).

I will look it up and see if I can scan what is there.

Thanks Dan!!!

The scan was exactly what I was looking for. I settled on a 6" version and hope to complete it by spring.

Mike Crupe
www.macperformancerocketry.com

Whats In Your Rocket?

Glad I could help, Mike. I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with. It really is one badass missile!

Back