Vostok 1 R7 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafgulch

Reaction score
After being inspired by the 1/50th scale Soyuz models built by PieroAcme and Wrad I decided to try a Vostok 1 version. I recently bought a 3D resin printer and spent a few months banging my head against the wall to learning Fusion 360. Like PieroAcme & Wrad this too will be a 2 stage cluster with drop off boosters. As the model is right now it weighs in at 409 grams. I am worried once I figure out how much nose weight I will need and it get full loaded it will be to heavy. This will be my "boiler plate" model. I need to build the launch pad & a "PVC spider" ignition system to light all 5 motors. I've got a lot of work ahead of me still. Many thanks to EZ2CDave too. More to follow..

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4549.JPG
    IMG_4549.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 35
Finally, the winds died down enough for my first launch and what a beautiful sight it was. The boost was nice and straight with the side boosters falling off perfectly & all parts recovered. I am hoping to get a video on my second launch. Now it's time to build a more detailed & finished model. Cheers to wrad, EZ2CDave & PieroAcme for there help & inspiration. And I can't forget Meatball Rocketry for their Spider ignition system that worked like a charm. Paul G.

Attachments

• Vostok - 1st liftoff.jpg
    Vostok - 1st liftoff.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 23
Very nice pic of the launch. What, pray tell, were the motors that you used. Nice use of a spider ignition system. I have never used one. The new MJG black powder igniters have worked for me. Kudos to Meatball.

Chas

Very nice pic of the launch. What, pray tell, were the motors that you used. Nice use of a spider ignition system. I have never used one. The new MJG black powder igniters have worked for me. Kudos to Meatball.

Chas

I used (4) B6-4 , D12-0 , D12-5. One nice thing about the spider ignition system is that I only need to use one igniter and a standard Estes launch controller. I am not familiar with the MJG black powder igniters.

Here a is not so great video of my second launch of my scratch-built Vostok-1 R7. it's really cool to see the booster fall off and the second stage kick in. This is my boiler plate model. I am now trying to build a more detailed & finished model. :) Thanks Wrad & PeiroAcme once again!

Attachments

• Vostok 1 - Second Launch 5-14-2022.mp4
    1.9 MB
Here are a few pics of the business end of the vostok (1st stage) for my more detailed build.Vostok 1 aft end 1.jpg

Attachments

• Vostok 1 aft end 2.jpg
    Vostok 1 aft end 2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Cheers to wrad, EZ2CDave & PieroAcme for there help & inspiration. And I can't forget Meatball Rocketry for their Spider ignition system that worked like a charm. Paul G.
Paul,

You are very welcome . . . If you ever need anything in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me !

Fantastic job on the VOSTOK !

Dave F.

It has been a long slow and at times a frustrating build. I am finally close to being done. Just a few mor bits and bobs to get done and I can finally get this bird done. This will be my first NARAM entry. Hopefully I will get her done.AB562251-C2DE-4AAF-872A-AEDE07D63537.jpeg

Almost finished with my first Sport Scale Naram entry. Let's hope I don't break it before the big day.

Attachments

• Vostok_6-20_22.jpg
    Vostok_6-20_22.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Vostok_6-20_22_b.jpg
    Vostok_6-20_22_b.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
Back