voice recognition altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
I have had an idea for a while. We have voice activation things in our lives but what about voice activation altimeter/electronics. I know that are magnet switches and things but voice activation like is Star trek would be wild. All you have to do is say "computer" to the electronics and wallah. No more screw switches less bulky. You would not have to fiddle around with getting the electronics screw switch right under an open hole.

So, design it, build it, and program it.

I dont know the first thing about computer programing, building electronics. All I have is the idea lol. I am sure the electronics vendors have thought about it. But the price would probably be a lot.

This is potentially a safety issue. At the very least you would want a confirmation before turning it on or off and a lockout so it cannot be disabled in flight. Possibly use a password for confirmation?

The Eggfinder Quantum and/or wifi switch are the closest I've seen to something like this. They're not voice activated, but using a cellphone & web browser is pretty simple.

The Eggfinder Quantum and/or wifi switch are the closest I've seen to something like this. They're not voice activated, but using a cellphone & web browser is pretty simple.

Yea, I have never used the wifi switch. I have some buddies have and they liked it.

I have had an idea for a while. We have voice activation things in our lives but what about voice activation altimeter/electronics. I know that are magnet switches and things but voice activation like is Star trek would be wild. All you have to do is say "computer" to the electronics and wallah. No more screw switches less bulky. You would not have to fiddle around with getting the electronics screw switch right under an open hole.

Sounds like an interesting idea. You could have voice commands to turn it on, turn it off, arm the charges, test continuity etc. You could even have commands to deploy the parachute. What a life-saver that could be when the rocket is coming in ballistic. Every one on the ground is yelling "Deploy DEPLOY DEPLOY !!!" ... and the rocket hears you and just does what its told. Brilliant!

Of course there could be some safety concerns. What if you said the wrong thing at the wrong time... BLAM-O!!!! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting idea. You could have voice commands to turn it on, turn it off, arm the charges, test continuity etc. You could even have commands to deploy the parachute. What a life-saver that could be when the rocket is coming in ballistic. Every on on the ground is yelling "Deploy DEPLOY DEPLOY !!!" ... and the rocket hears you and just does what its told. Brilliant!

Of course there could be some safety concerns. What if you said the wrong thing at the wrong time... BLAM-O!!!! :facepalm:

Ummmm, I don't think a tumbling rocket is going to "hear" any "voices" from the ground. Would need an Rf link. There are commercial Rf panic buttons for rockets already if one cares to invest in them.

I think the digital Wifi switches or coded Rf activation devices are adequate enough for now. Kurt

Judging by the quality of 'diction', (or whatever voice to speech is called these days) I wouldn't trust it.

Ummmm, I don't think a tumbling rocket is going to "hear" any "voices" from the ground. Would need an Rf link. There are commercial Rf panic buttons for rockets already if one cares to invest in them.

I think the digital Wifi switches or coded Rf activation devices are adequate enough for now. Kurt

I was talking about just turning it on on the pad using voice recognition nothing beyond that.

I was talking about just turning it on on the pad using voice recognition nothing beyond that.

I understand but I was responding to Scott's likely facetious, jocular comments in #8. No offense given to the original premise. I believe it is likely getting close to being within the realm of being able to get a device small enough to be "trained" to ones voice but why bother?

Not enough money to be made in it. Kurt

If your mobile has voice activation then perhaps you can issue the right commands to activate the eggfinder? Disclaimer - I've used neither.

I understand but I was responding to Scott's likely facetious, jocular comments in #8. No offense given to the original premise. I believe it is likely getting close to being within the realm of being able to get a device small enough to be "trained" to ones voice but why bother?

Not enough money to be made in it. Kurt

Cool

Sounds like an interesting idea. You could have voice commands to turn it on, turn it off, arm the charges, test continuity etc. You could even have commands to deploy the parachute. What a life-saver that could be when the rocket is coming in ballistic. Every one on the ground is yelling "Deploy DEPLOY DEPLOY !!!" ... and the rocket hears you and just does what its told. Brilliant!

As all of the other rockets on the pads hear the yelling and deploy their chutes........

Pretty sure Sabrina was having fun with this.

If your really mad at someone , you could yell DISARM...boo

Back