Vmx-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep,this is the most technical kit i have built and the results are fantastic.:)
this is my favourate rocket and i cant wait to fly it again :cool:

Spent part of this evening building my Vmx-2. Thanks to the CNC cut balsa, and the Superglue assembly; this thing seems to just fall together. Cutting the holes for the hinges is a bit hairy, but I took my time, and its worked out ok.

Not had any problems, yet. I've had to re-read the instructions, a couple of times, on the odd occasion; to really make sure I understand what I'm doing. A quick re-read, look at the next few steps, do a bit of test fitting, and all becomes clear.

I've only had to stop building, 'cos its late, and I've got work tomorrow. I've attached a photo of where the build has got to. Its only taken about 3hrs to get this far. Plus I managed to have a bath, iron a shirt and watch a repeat of an episode of "Time Gentlemen Please", on Paramount, during that time, n'all!

:cool:

Thats a real good job cyder:) Those hinges are real tricky but its worth the effort.have you decided if your going to have the compitition version or airflap version.

Originally posted by matt_taylor
I plan to launch this at the Aug 5th launch

Hey Matt,

I was just thinking..... The Vmx-2 would be great to launch in Dec to celebrate the "100 years" of the airplane..........

Originally posted by arthur dent
......have you decided if your going to have the compitition version or airflap version.

I'm going for the compitition version - its simpler, and should perform better. :D

Got both days off, this weekend, so I'll probably do a bit more.

Just got back from launching my VMX-2, and what a cool bird she is!!! :D :D :D

After minimal trimming (she was nose light, just popped a blob of the provided clay in), and plugging an Estes B motor, she was ready to launch.

I was luckey enough to be launching with Damage..., so had him to guide me through the trimming.

This rocket/glider/spaceplane has to be seen to be believed. Mine went up, did a HUGE arc, zipped about, then settled into a tight spiral for descent. Just clipped the bush at the edge of the field, as she glided in for landing. She obviously needs a little weight on one side to widen the spiral. However, I had neglected to put some CYA on the leading edges, and one broke. Damage... let me have another length of the leading edge balsa, so a repair is not far off. Cheers Gary!

I also got to see some of Damage...'s fleet fly. A VMX-2 painted in a Space Shuttle Black/White style (very cool looking), which, unfortunatly, lawndarted with an almighty thud! :eek: All that was damaged was the front of the body tube; the design of the kit allows for this to be fixed easily. The others he flew (early VMX-2 prototype, and a VMX-12 (24mm) prototype), were both as cool as my flight, just without the landing damage.

This kit is one to see fly. It zips around, doing its aerobatics, as its settling into glide. This is very exciting to watch, and has you spinning around on the spot, watching the thing zoom around. The glide phase is awesome to watch as well; the VMX flies like the shuttle on re-entry, and really is something to see. :cool: Its not surprising it does this, as the design is a downscale of a genuine spaceplane design, apparently.

Had a cool bank holiday monday afternoon, chucking some rockets into the sky. My Deuce was plagued by ignition problems, resulting in a nasty C powered dive :eek: :( I hope shes salvageable. Damage... managed to get a photo of her leaving the pad on just one C motor. Hope to post that soon. In the meantime, heres a picture of Damage...'s Space Shuttle style VMX, on the pad. I didn't get any good launch shots, these birds are so fast that all I got was smoke!

Just been sent this one of the 2 VMX-2s in the earlier drag race photo gently returning to earth - Thanks Nick!

Sorry it's small but they were a loooonnnng way up...

Damage...

Damage,

Does the VMX series use any type of airfoil?? (i.e. Symetrical, Cambered, etc.) Or are the wing edges just rounded off with the dihedral of the wings providing the lift?

Thanks,

rkt2k1,

Yes, in profile the leading edge is a little like an elongated right angle triangle, which proved to be the best in drag vs lift when converting between high AND low speeds. But you're right, it IS a combination of the delta wing, dihedral AND the aerofoil that produces its outstanding performance (well we would say that anyway!;) )

We sent you a pic of a completed wing section in the VMX-12 string, in this part of the forum, to try to explain some of the aspects of the design. Here'a a pic of the Boss with a VMX-3 R/C and a VMX-12-D.

You know, you really ought to get yourself one and fly it - it should give you loads of ideas!

If you're this interested in aeronautics you should also enter our VMX competition to try to crack 3 minutes glide duration - 2 minutes has already been done - and then get onto our Test Pilot Scheme. Two other TFR's are already there and are test flying pre-production kits!:cool:

Lossa luck

Orbital Engineering Ltd Ground Support Team

Back