Visited Apogee in Colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougla2

Reaction score
After spending a lot of time with Apogee's website, decided to visit the place to pick up my first large rocket kit. I can report to the forum that the place is very well organized and staffed by "rocket people". Discussed stability concepts with the young lady in the front and picked up some good ideas for later, when I hope to explore cameras, altimeters and trackers. The stable of rockets in their showroom have obviously been flown, which I find to be reassuring. Met the owner, Tim, and have to say that he runs a tight ship. There is a meeting room in the front that looks like it hosts educational classes, everything is super tidy. I can wholeheartedly recommend this place based on my positive experience. Oh, I purchased a Zephyr, some G78G-4 motors, a 29/38 adapter and a 38mm retainer. I asked about black friday sale and saw them cringe, so not expecting any specials but I am satisfied with the prices on my purchase. They are clearly a mail order operation primarily and have a professionally run warehouse and shipping station, so I would not hesitate to order from them. For a new BAR like me, this works.apogee1.jpg

Thanks, because I am a slow builder with many distractions, this Zephyr project may take a while to complete. Today it's off to Hobby Lobby for 30 minute epoxy, igniters and wadding. I'll take time this weekend to watch Apogee's videos on assembling the Zephyr. I have enjoyed TRF and plan to continue learning from the experienced folks here.

Shared my experience with Apogee because I recognize a good business when I see one. Doing business online is fraught with difficulties and these people look to be up to the challenges. This kit seems to have all the bases covered for my planned L1 pursuit and if I need support, there it is. Once I get going I'll start a build thread.

I stopped in there 6 months ago while passing thru Colorado Springs and while I did not meet Tim I can say what Douglas wrote about the facility is on the money. Many built rockets on display in the front but all the stock is in the back room. Very clean and organized business and the young lady up front was very helpful with my purchase of a nose cone and body tube.

-Bob

The display rockets looked great but I did spy some body tube spirals on the Zephyr. They looked just like the faint lines visible on my freshly painted Big Daddy, which I primed like I saw in the Apogee video. Picked up some bondo spot putty today to see if it works better and if I have the patience to apply and sand. I like the sanding block in the videos, one of those would help. Overall the displays look very nice and the Saturn V is stunning.Big Daddy close up.jpg

To prepare for building the Zephyr, practiced by putting together a few other kits, most recently a Super Big Bertha. Tried out using epoxy and am still working on the "endless" sanding technique. The build threads here have been an amazing resource and I am thankful for the work of these forum members who share their experience and ideas. The hardest decision has been whether or not to mod the daylights out of these kits, following the creative paths of others. The SBB is stock, just epoxy used and some thin CA on the fins' edges. Probably stick to a stock Zephyr and get an LOC kit next to implement dual deployment and a camera. Visited a launch event hosted by CRASH and met a few local experts, what amateur radio operators call "Elmers" and look forward to learning from their experience. A big part of this learning process is discovering what the wife can tolerate, the sanding dust is OK but the paint fumes are not. r.jpg

Just saw this thread. If I had to pick just one entity that has had the most influence of my enjoyment of the hobby it is Tim and his business. I was immensely privileged to meet him at NARCON 2018 -- and he gifted me the Altimeter 3 he won, for which I am so grateful.

I also admire his commercial astuteness. He really understands "value-add." I would not be in this hobby if it weren't for Apogee's videos. I am a very visual learner; I learn primarily by watching. Those videos are so critical to my enjoyment of rocketry that absolutely, without question, I'm going to buy from Apogee first.

Yep, the videos were key to my making the leap and driving to COS to get a kit and some motors. Making a list of next step stuff this week and will probably go back because when you add shipping to the discount places it comes out about the same price. Also, I can see what Tim is doing to support the hobby (or obsession for some of us) and I am fully behind any projects that teach STEM subjects to our youth.

The videos are helpful, just make sure to test fit everything first and you have a plan when assembling and moving the parts into the position they need to be in. Take your time. I know he likes to use the rocket epoxy in the video, but I think you would be better off with wood glue. It's not as messy and since you are gluing two like materials the bond will be stronger than the materials themselves. Your fillets will look great as well. I still tape off a small area for fillets and follow the same procedure as epoxy. After the glue dries I come back with Tite bond Mold and Trim. Just take your time and don't rush the process. You will find that you will get more enjoyment out of the build. After all if you're not flying right away why rush it.

Just saw this thread. If I had to pick just one entity that has had the most influence of my enjoyment of the hobby it is Tim and his business. I was immensely privileged to meet him at NARCON 2018 -- and he gifted me the Altimeter 3 he won, for which I am so grateful.

I also admire his commercial astuteness. He really understands "value-add." I would not be in this hobby if it weren't for Apogee's videos. I am a very visual learner; I learn primarily by watching. Those videos are so critical to my enjoyment of rocketry that absolutely, without question, I'm going to buy from Apogee first.

Absolutely right. Tim doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is the Vern Estes of the modern era. In fact, Tim is more accomplished than Estes. Estes was a businessman first who happened to use model rocketry as a money-making platform. Tim is a rocketman through and through. Other than showing up at NARAMs for the old guys to fawn over, Estes hasn't contributed anything to rocketry in nearly 50 years. Tim is still going strong and pretty much makes every decision at Apogee. Look at all the free, educational stuff he gives away. Yet, most rocketeers on this forum just bitch about his prices because they are a few pennies more...

Yep, I also visited the shop in Colorado Springs and got a personal tour from Tim. Impressive operation: clean, organized, and well-stocked.

Absolutely right. Tim doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is the Vern Estes of the modern era. In fact, Tim is more accomplished than Estes. Estes was a businessman first who happened to use model rocketry as a money-making platform. Tim is a rocketman through and through. Other than showing up at NARAMs for the old guys to fawn over, Estes hasn't contributed anything to rocketry in nearly 50 years. Tim is still going strong and pretty much makes every decision at Apogee. Look at all the free, educational stuff he gives away. Yet, most rocketeers on this forum just bitch about his prices because they are a few pennies more...

Yep, I also visited the shop in Colorado Springs and got a personal tour from Tim. Impressive operation: clean, organized, and well-stocked.
It is possible to praise A without disparaging B.

I am not disparaging B. B did a lot, obviously, back in the day.

Tim is more accomplished than Estes.

Estes was a businessman first who happened to use model rocketry as a money-making platform.

Other than showing up at NARAMs for the old guys to fawn over, Estes hasn't contributed anything to rocketry in nearly 50 years.

I experience these two posts as opposites. YMMV.

Spirals visible on models? My favorite way to stop those nasty spirals is to use the Iron on Super Monokote. I found that the White Super Monokote
works very well. After making the overlap, it can be sanded with 400 to 600 grit and that overlap can be filled with the White primer paint.
My favorite Primer is Zynolite (check spelling).

I'm sorry I understand he offers videos and and a lot of educational material which is great and does get a lot of BARs back into the hobby and as some have mentioned above they learn better when actually seeing it done. I would have to agree, but to say his prices are a few pennies more is laughable. His prices are way more in terms of what other vendors sell and some of them above retail as well as his shipping. I get it he puts a lot of time and effort into his website and he has a staff. Not going to get into this and stir a hornets nest. Not bad mouthing the guy and its his business to run it the way he wants to, but as I look at it we have choices and if you like buying from him and feel comfortable paying the higher prices good for you, but me on the other hand I'll pass.

The Apogee kits,like Zephyr, seem to be a bargain compared to other manufacturer's kits. I posted up my experience with the place (sort of a fact-check) and will do business with them again after seeing the operation and meeting some of the people involved. Looking forward to being able to attend some launches after this covid pandemic winds down and the election is over. I just want to fly some rockets.:)

thanks for posting up the picture of you and Tim, and I also bought my level 2 rocket because of the great videos that he puts together for the kit. I know I am still moving at a snail's pace putting it together but at least I started on it so hopefully the two of us will finish our Rockets this winter

I am super lucky to live so close to Apogee and to be able to buy things as a local vendor from them. The crew they have is top notch and I always enjoy my visits because of them. It’s worth paying the prices IMO as they are local and I don’t have to pay shipping. The library of parts on hand is amazing and makes it worth it. Enjoy your builds man!!

Here is Tim with their X-15 at our local launch in Pueblo CO at SCORE!

Attachments

• EF021B7A-6B56-48D0-A825-A688EC26F18A.jpeg
    EF021B7A-6B56-48D0-A825-A688EC26F18A.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 21
Speaking in general and not to the specific lines of discussion that have emerged in this thread. Ten years ago I visited family in COS and asked about stopping in at Apogee. For anyone wondering I have to say that Tim Van Milligan is a genuinely nice guy. He was obviously busy but nonetheless took the time to show me around and just talk rockets.

The way I see it is he has staff people who are great and he probably pays them a fair wage. And frankly, for a guy that gives back in so many ways, if he needs the pricing to be higher to fund his operation, it's worth it to me to spend a few extra bucks to support him and his team. Do I buy everything from Apogee, no. But if I was a tad bit richer, I certainly would.

Yeah all Vern Estes ever did was create the Model Rocket hobby for millions of kids.. and you were probably one of those kids. I think thats probably enough in one lifetime.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back