Virus Software Recommendations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
So I've been a loyal Norton user for years. My subscription was getting ready to run out, and I renewed. Now my system, an admittedly old XP platform, has ground to a near halt.

I go online, do some research and see TONS of complaints about bad performance under this version, with no feedback re: how to adjust settings to fix it. After a few attempts on my own, I'm giving up.

I'm looking for suggestions for either freeware, shareware or commercial virus checking / firewall software to replace the Norton pig currently resident on my system.

Suggestions?

Which version of Norton are you using???

I'm using Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2010 and it's actually pretty decent.

I've heard pretty good things about Avast antivirus but it has no built in firewall so you would have to download one separately.

I've been using Eset Smart Security for a few years now and it's quick to catch any problems. This software includes antivirus, firewall and antispam. I think they offer a 30day trial

Ever since I switched to AVG all my problems have vanished. No more slow start ups. Faster loading, just all around better and FREE too!

Which version of Norton? 360 V3.0 and Norton Antivirus/Internet Security 2010 are surprisingly light on system resources, and run quite well.

I switched from Norton to McAfee two years ago, and McAfee was nothing but problems. I switch back last year to just plain on Norton AntiVirus and have been very happy with it. I also run Malwareytes - Anti-Malware about once a week.

I can't use AVG free version as I am a professional, but I do install it on non professional friend's PC that don't have any retail antivirus programs and it seems to do fine by them.

Whatever you choose, good luck in trying to get rid of Nortons bloatware...
:roll::roll::roll:
or get a MAC...!!! :eyepop:

Another one on the free side is AVG. Been happy with that one on my XP machines.
https://free.avg.com/us-en/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

+1 on AVG. If your service provider dosen't supply its own software then AVG should work fine. You will also have the option to upgrade ($$$) if you want in the future for more protection if needed. I have installed it on a few machines with no ill effects. Use to run Norton myself a few years back but it bogged my system down too much.

So I've been a loyal Norton user for years. My subscription was getting ready to run out, and I renewed. Now my system, an admittedly old XP platform, has ground to a near halt.

How long has it been since you did a fresh reinstall of Windows? "Fresh" meaning copy important files elsewhere, format the drive and reinstall from scratch?

-Kevin

AVG. No problems. And it's FREE.... just updated to 9.0 And I used Norton for years myself, I too updated and my system went to crap.

Whatever you choose, good luck in trying to get rid of Nortons bloatware...
:roll::roll::roll:
or get a MAC...!!! :eyepop:

A mac?

Well, if an overpriced fashion accessory is what you're after, it fits the bill pretty nicely...

I've had good experience with both AVG and Avira after dealing with resource slurping and virus missing Norton/Symantec. Both are free.

Or, like BRC said, get a Mac....or use the same hardware with Linux. :)

It's interesting that folks advocate AVG over Norton -- I've had exactly the opposite experience. Norton license expired on a couple computers a few years back, so I removed it and installed AVG, instead. Performance went down the toilet, bigtime, to the point where the kids constantly complained.

I've never had that problem with Norton.

McAfee also, in my experience, consumes more resources than Norton -- our cable company gives me 3 free licenses, so 3 of the computers are running that.

-Kevin

It's interesting that folks advocate AVG over Norton -- I've had exactly the opposite experience. Norton license expired on a couple computers a few years back, so I removed it and installed AVG, instead. Performance went down the toilet, bigtime, to the point where the kids constantly complained.

I've never had that problem with Norton.

McAfee also, in my experience, consumes more resources than Norton -- our cable company gives me 3 free licenses, so 3 of the computers are running that.

-Kevin

Maybe it's the versions we've used over the years. I can't recall which Symantec/NAV version I had because it's been a few years.

There are several free ones to choose from... I've heard good things about AVG, and I personally use CA, which I really like.

I tried Avira, but it felt a bit too much like spyware/bloatware to me. Others have used it wiith no problems.

I like CA... much less intrusive than Norton.

I didn't like AVG when I was using it, but I wasn't in charge of the system so that may have been part of it. In the past I've liked Norton, but a free version of Trend Micro's software came with the current comp. It worked great until this week when apparently I picked up at least 2 Trojans, that I'm fighting with. Trend Micro has a free online scanner as well. I like Lavasoft's Adaware for spyware detection, and I've used spybot as a double checker.

One I didn't see mentioned yet is AntiVir
https://www.free-av.com/

AVG, Avast, and AntiVir are the most commonly recommended 'free' AV products. These are all good products.

These is also:
BitDenfender Free
ClamWin
I have no comment on these.

As for AntiMalware.... Both Spybot S&D and AdAware are a bit 'long-in-the-tooth'. The more current and most often recommended programs are:
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and
Super Anti-Spyware

You can find a rather good list of freeware replacement for common commercial apps here:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Last edited:
I tried Avira, but it felt a bit too much like spyware/bloatware to me. Others have used it wiith no problems.

The window that pops up when it is updating is a nuisance. I removed it by adding "avnotify.exe" to the "don't run" folder in XP. After that, it was no more intrusive than any other free AV program.

1. Go to Start > Run.
2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK.
3. Navigate through User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System.
4. Double click "Don't run specified Windows applications".
5. Enable it and click show.
6. Add "avnotify.exe".
7. Click OK on all open windows.
8. Restart.

All of the purchased and free programs have advantages and disadvantages. All of them will miss a virus or trojan every now and then. Even with the best AV program whether purchased or free, you still need to be smart enough not to click on questionable links or run executables from parts unknown.

Kaspersky, it's not free but it works great. I have been using it for years and I put it on a lot of computers for people. Only time I have had to mess with it is renewing the subscription. Way out classes Norton.

Avast for me.

Despise Norton for the performance hits. Trend Micro and McAfee were ok. I used Kaspersky for their Windows 7 trial, but that's over and I went back to Avast. Immediately got a hit on something from a hinky "developers" website that Kaspersky missed. Fortunately I hadn't tried what I had downloaded.

Kaspersky, it's not free but it works great. I have been using it for years and I put it on a lot of computers for people. Only time I have had to mess with it is renewing the subscription. Way out classes Norton.

Agree with Sandman here ... Kaspersky. I'm a low-tech guy when it comes to computers, but this has been user-friendly as I learn little bits here and there about anti-virus software. Scans are fast, "threats" quickly resolved, blocks easy to remove/reactivate. Renewed once so far and yeah... it sure lets you know when your subscription is up :bangbang:. For what it's worth, more than one geek has complimented me on having a program that (they feel) is superior to a lot of others, and a great value.

I have been using Avast for a few years now. Very nice product for home use free ware. They update very frequently, and it has email and web browser protection as well. All they require is that you request a new key once a year.

I'm giving MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) a try and am so far impressed. It is quick, has a very simple interface, and the security sites tend to show it reasonable effective. No nag screens, and it's free as long as you have a 'Genuine' Windows installation.

Back