Virus is closing in...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Here’s a good article on testing, false positives, what it means:

There appears to be a high rate of false negatives with some of the antibody tests.

Tony
The antibody tests (Like the swab-PCR tests) can produce some false negatives if:
1. The blood sample is collected too soon (IgM less than 7 days of illness or if blood is collected before 2 to 3 weeks for the IgG assessment). Or if the blood sample is collected more than 2 weeks from disease start for the IgM
test. Unfortunately not all labs/physicians are aware of the time intervals and like rocketry, some test kit products are superior to others. Finally, if a patient has a transient or genetic immune deficiency, then there may not be antibodies generated even during the height of the disease.
2. The swab (RT-PCR) tests also have false negatives for example if the swab did not collect enough virus from the patient and also the test accuracy diminishes the later in disease period that the test is collected (about 70% accurate in week 1 but only 54% accurate in week 2 of disease according to a few studies).
In general more than one test (spread over time) is needed for those with persistent symptoms with an initial negative test.
I hope this helps Tony.
Fred

Marc_G

Reaction score
Congratulations-take off your mask and enjoy some brew in celebration!
Regards,
Fred
Thanks 😀 but I was hoping for a positive antibody test because it would indicate I've already got an immune response and probably at lower risk of an infection going forward.

So my mask stays on when I'm out of the house for a while. Actually I would keep masked anyway just in case (to prevent possibly being an asymptomatic spreader, not to keep from getting sick myself).

OverTheTop

Reaction score
Ok. Just got the news. The student that worked at the nursing home and was possibly exposed to a COVID-positive patient has had their test come back negative (refer post #1 for history). That means my wife, and hence I, are off the hook for now. Yippee! Now a glass of wine to celebrate :).

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Australia is doing quite well with this COVID thing currently. My wife, a nurse educator, went and did a prac class today which is the first time in ages she has had student interactions that are anything but virtual. Just today it was reported on the news that a patient at an aged-care home had tested positive to the virus. It turns out one of my wife's students works at that nursing home. It is unlikely that the student has it, but possible. That means it is unlikely that my wife has it, but it is possible. Classes cancelled.

That's complicated things a bit for a few days as testing gets done :(
All the best OTT!

jkovac

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Covid test came back negative on Saturday. I had a successful colonoscopy today.
Funny you mention that. I had a colonoscopy a few months ago. I was swabbed for the coronavirus active virus test yesterday, and I told several people who asked how it went that I’d rather have had another colonoscopy. Really. I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from getting tested, and hopefully it was just the technique of the person doing the swab, but it felt like she was driving that thing up into my brain.

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. I had a colonoscopy a few months ago. I was swabbed for the coronavirus active virus test yesterday, and I told several people who asked how it went that I’d rather have had another colonoscopy. Really. I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from getting tested, and hopefully it was just the technique of the person doing the swab, but it felt like she was driving that thing up into my brain.
I'm wondering if you had the nasal swab covid procedure. I had the throat swab. For about a second I thought I was going to gag, but then it was all over. It was really not too bad.

jkovac

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you had the nasal swab covid procedure. I had the throat swab. For about a second I thought I was going to gag, but then it was all over. It was really not too bad.
I had the nasal swab.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our Premier (NSW) has said all school students must return to school on Monday. She then said that they should walk to school rather than take public transport... For those of us in the rural communities this would be a 50km (31 mile) round trip. Walking. Five days a week.

Now pubs and clubs are reopening on 1st June. So, the worst affected state in Australia for Covid19 cases will also have the most relaxed social distancing rules.

Words fail me. Bracing ourselves for a second wave.

Stay safe, space cadets!

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Our Premier (NSW) has said all school students must return to school on Monday. She then said that they should walk to school rather than take public transport... For those of us in the rural communities this would be a 50km (31 mile) round trip. Walking. Five days a week.

Now pubs and clubs are reopening on 1st June. So, the worst affected state in Australia for Covid19 cases will also have the most relaxed social distancing rules.

Words fail me. Bracing ourselves for a second wave.

Stay safe, space cadets!
Thus the problem with wonks and officials that have never spent a week of their life outside of a city. They seem to like one size fits all and guess what, it fits inside their experience.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
There is no geographic limitation to stupidity, it is international! In New York, Connecticut and New Jersey (states in the northeast of the USA), the governors (obviously all graduates of Yale and Harvard medical schools) forced elderly hospitalized patients with COVID-19, upon hospital discharge, to return to nursing homes (i.e. long term care facilities) against the valid protests of unprepared administrators at these facilities. Unfortunately, a large percentage of the COVID-19 deaths that occurred in these states were residents of these facilities! This was compounded by the inability of relatives to visit these individuals before their deaths. The only minuscule questionably positive outcome is the realization that the elderly denizens of the USA deserve better and hopefully, I pray, that social pressure and outrage facilitate a better quality of life for our elderly friends and relatives.

OverTheTop

Reaction score
Around the mulberry bush again for me. Currently sitting in my car waiting to get swabbed again. Today became febrile, sore throat, aching joints. Just hoping it is one of the other viruses.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Crapsticks. Crossing my fingers for you.
Hopefully all is well and the test is negative. There are new Antigen detection diagnostic kits available that can detect virus protein reasonably well during the first week plus of illness. These point of care tests only require a finger stick drop of blood to process (no swabs). Their reported accuracy is similar or better than PCR based detection. I'm not sure if they are approved for use in Australia yet, currently under evaluaton in the US.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Weird series of maybe coincidences at my mother in law's independent senior living apartment building.

Saturday: Three ambulance calls to the building. On one of them, a paramedic remarks "It was weird they weren't showing any other symptoms" as they left the building.
Sunday: No word from the building, no changes in routine, including in the dining room, which has recently re-opened, though residents can still opt to have a tray sent to their room.
Monday: At breakfast, there are a *lot* of trays being prepared and service is really slow because they seem to be short-staffed.

On the one hand, everyone sent to the hospital is tested for COVID, and tests come back in 24-48 hours. Presumably, if someone living in a senior community tests positive for COVID, the facility would be notified and presumably the facility would take some action to quarantine. While 3 ambulance visits in a day is a lot, it's not out of the realm of possibility, and the comment about other symptoms could have been about a heart attack or stroke (or anything else for that matter). On the other hand, the facility was pretty tight-lipped about a prior potential exposure so we're not really sure and not knowing is pretty freaky.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My Covid test came back negative on Saturday. I had a successful colonoscopy today.
So you didn’t get it in the end, but you did get it in the end?

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Uphill.
Both ways!

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
IN THE SNOW! As I recall living in Minnesota and South Dakota in my youth. :music1:
Used to be a stand up line for Bill Cosby, back before we knew of the tragic “badness” behind a very funny and “family man” facade he kept up for years. Ah well,,,,,,

OverTheTop

Reaction score
Again I am into isolation. My wife (community nurse) visited a paitient on the weekend that is showing respiratory symptoms. We await the outcome of their test results, again :(.

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Again I am into isolation. My wife (community nurse) visited a patient on the weekend that is showing respiratory symptoms. We await the outcome of their test results, again :(.

Flippin' heck! What a roller coaster ride for you both. Hang in there. 🤞

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Again I am into isolation. My wife (community nurse) visited a paitient on the weekend that is showing respiratory symptoms. We await the outcome of their test results, again :(.
Does wife wear any PPE or is isolation protocol? Getting another test? G’luck.

OverTheTop

Reaction score
Does wife wear any PPE or is isolation protocol? Getting another test? G’luck.
Normal scrubs, gloves, goggles. She is pretty good with her hygiene and protocols, and mindful of what she touches. She has rejigged her education sessions for tomorrow so somebody else provides the teaching and contact. Patient was not symptomatic on the weekend but was earlier this week.

I am doing a work from home day tomorrow too.

If we don't hear the patient's test results by Sunday we will go and get tested ourselves. Hopefully the patient just has a run-of-the-mill virus and not covid. It is not likely we have it, but we are treating it with abundant caution.

NateB

Reaction score
Normal scrubs, gloves, goggles. She is pretty good with her hygiene and protocols, and mindful of what she touches. ...
We wear N95s, gloves, and eye protection for every patient contact - no matter what the symptoms are or if we can consider them a low risk or not. Our medical director is an ER physician and his entire group has the same practice. We have had several patients with a primary presentation of traumatic injuries, UTI, sepsis from a known source, and everything else you can imagine testing positive for Covid or ending up having a chest x-ray that was suspicious for it too.