Viper IV build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyspike1

Reaction score
These are some pics I took today of my LOC Viper IV. It seems I can't fly this beast...(legally) unless at event with FAA waiver,(And successful L1 HPR cert) But I'm following through build for later. I'm not sure on which paint theme; rocket-style theme or military missile style. Desert camo or olive green "Army" with silver rear tubes and black fins,(or 2 black,2green)maybe red in tip 1" with VIPER IV in plain block stencil, Military plain style.......Any thoughts appreciated...

022611 059.jpg

022611 056.jpg

022611 055.jpg

022611 057.jpg

022611 060.jpg

You can fly the rocket with four Estes D12-7s, Aerotech E-15-7s, E30-7s, E18-7s, or E-28-7s without a Waiver or HPR cert. The total propellant masses work out to 84.4g for the D12s and about 80g for the for the Aerotech motors listed above. You could also use any of the Aerotech 24mm F motors (F32 and F35) and stay under 125g of propellant. The major caveat of clustering composite motors is getting them all to light at once.

Here is the completed Viper IV painted and clearcoated, minus the VIPER IV lettering to be done in block "army" style stenciling.I decided to go with military S.A.M. style theme. Cant wait to launch this amazing beast!!! Anyway, thanks for looking. Let me know what U think......

February 27 20011 075.jpg

February 27 20011 076.jpg

February 27 20011 078.jpg

February 27 20011 062.jpg

Since this is a build thread, I moved it to HPR.

I also copied the last post back to the gallery since that was where it originally was. If there is any objection, let me know and I will delete the copy.

Also did the fins 2 army green, 2 black. Couldn't decide Black or Green so did both, seemed to look even better. Motor tubes metallic flake silver, red tip.

February 27 20011 077.jpg

Now you need to come to a CATO launch. We drag race them all the time on D12's. It's our signature event! Ever near Connecticut?

I have mine done as well. I gotta get down to CATO soon. I miss those guys.

I went to fly mine for the first time at Amesbury back in October to no avail. Anyone have any good ideas for ignition? I have a 4 motor clip whip, but as soon as I go to hook up the second set of clips, the clips off the first motor come off.

Yea, but we all know what you did, Al....and I've got quest ignitors for sale.......hmmmm back to being dead last

Was questioning the wisdow of the army scheme, but she does look nice in the green. Nice paint. What paint did you use for your silver/metal work? That has a real nice sheen to it.

Paints used were as follows; green was a "camo" spray color from W-mart. Motor tubes were Rustoleum brightcoat "aluminum" base with a light misting of Rustoleum "Metallic Accents Satin Nickel" just to add LIGHT metal flake. The mettalic flake paint I felt was to dark on test tube, and aluminum silver was to "shinybright" and plain alone..Bands were Satin Cream brush-on, black on 2 fins Rustoleum Flat Black. I still need to do the lettering, probably in same cream tan stencil VIPER IV.... looks more like a missle than rocket.....

Back