Vinyl + cutters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Looking at getting a circut cutter or the likes.
Seems the Explorer air 2 is a good one .
Who's got a cutter written.
Pros, cons ect.

My wife has a Cricut EA2 and the Cricut EA3 is now available iirc. She loves it, I have used it a fair number of times for rocketry projects, the software is easy-ish to learn and it is a web based app. I have designed stuff in Inkscape and the imported into the Cricut Design Space application and cut it, sometimes complex designs require some tweaking. It works and once you learn to use it, it works pretty well. The app does not require purchasing stuff like fonts unless its something only Cricut has otherwise I use fonts that are installed or I have added to Windows. There is also a Cricut Maker 2 (better than Cricut Maker) that will cut heavier materials and do most everything that the EA2 or 3 will do afaik.

I have a Cricut Maker. I looked at the options and for the extra money I decided the Maker was worth it. Been using it now for a bit over two years with no issues. The software is pretty simple to use and I have learned how to recreate pretty much any decals in vinyl.

I have a Cricut Maker. I looked at the options and for the extra money I decided the Maker was worth it. Been using it now for a bit over two years with no issues. The software is pretty simple to use and I have learned how to recreate pretty much any decals in vinyl.
So I'll presume you can layer to make multi color stuff?
There's a little more to making decals,stickers and such than I thought after watching YouTube.

So I'll presume you can layer to make multi color stuff?
There's a little more to making decals,stickers and such than I thought after watching YouTube.

You have two options. The first is to cut from different colors of vinyl then apply them over each other like you see below. These were cut from different colored vinyl then over laid using transfer paper.

IMG_8212 - Copy.JPG38.jpgPhantom Blue.jpg

The other option is "print then cut". This is a function where you buy white printable vinyl and use the Cricut software to print a multi colored image. Once printed you can place that in the Cricut and it will find the edges and cut the design. I have the printer and the printable vinyl but I haven't spent the time to mess around with it as the above method has worked for everything I want to do so far. I will need to figure it out soon as I have a FoxFire Upscale planned and those are too complex to piece together.

Just got the Shilloette Cameo 4 if you are used to graphics software. (Photoshop, inkscape, Corel draw, etc ) you will likely prefer the Shilloette software. I have a 3mm blade and heavy mat on the way and will be trying some centering rings when it comes.

You have two options. The first is to cut from different colors of vinyl then apply them over each other like you see below. These were cut from different colored vinyl then over laid using transfer paper.

View attachment 491965View attachment 491966View attachment 491967

The other option is "print then cut". This is a function where you buy white printable vinyl and use the Cricut software to print a multi colored image. Once printed you can place that in the Cricut and it will find the edges and cut the design. I have the printer and the printable vinyl but I haven't spent the time to mess around with it as the above method has worked for everything I want to do so far. I will need to figure it out soon as I have a FoxFire Upscale planned and those are too complex to piece together.
Thanks

Big fan of the Silhouette Cameo 4 here.
Less manufacturer centric than the Cricut brand. More flexible. Good software included.
Will cut any font you have on your computer. Easy to cut any .svg file and with a slight design software upgrade, will cut .dxf files.

Back