Vinyl and clear coats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
I'm new to vinyl decals, other than testing is anyone aware of any negative interactions between vinyl and clear coats?
Vinyl of chose is Oracal 651
Clear coats on hand are Krylon crystal clear, testors gloss and dull coats, and created gloss coat.

Thanks but not really the answer I was looking for. Just asking the forum if anyone had negative interactions with the clears I listed. Automotive should you clear vinyl on your car tells me only that automotive class clear coats which I'm not using don't eat vinyl. I haven't found anything relevant to my question, which is why I asked.

Did a test of Orical 651 white vinyl with Krylon 1305 UV Resistant Gloss Clear last night and no negative interaction was observed.

Second what Banzai88 said. To add to that however, don't let a test of less than 24 hours make it a conclusive test. I have seen clears react days later to certain coatings. If you have a prized model ready for clear, I would definitely give your test samples(s) at least a week. Many clears take that long to fully cure, outgas, etc.

I was also slightly nervous about it originally, but have not had issues w/ Krylon matte clear on a variety of vinyl decals.

Just recovered this guy that spent a windy+rainy month way up in a tree. Lot of structural damage, but I thought all the vinyl graphics (everything except the white + black base coats) combined with a couple clear coats held up super well.

PXL_20220305_180039359~2.jpg

@tjkopena exactly the info I was after. My test sample still looks good too. Sorry you had a tree recovery. Looks like a fun rocket.

Latest posts

Back