Vintage Two-Piece Launch Rod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowspawn

Reaction score
I’m seeking the smaller diameter upper piece of the old two-piece launch rods from back in the 1970’s. Have restored an old launch system and have everything back to A-1 except I don’t have that skinny upper half that fits into the lower half. I’ve been all around to hardware places and they all have 1/8” pieces, but no one seems to have that smaller diameter piece. I’m not interested in using a modern day all aluminum rod, nor a single piece rod. I’m putting this back like it was when sold back in the day. If anybody has an old, two-piece rod they are willing to part with, even if rusty, I’d be willing to give you a few bucks for it. Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

I’m pretty sure I do have one….but I won’t be home to look until Sunday night.

BTW the two piece rods haven’t been aluminum for a long time — probably at least 20 years.

Aluminum rods like these! Thirty total willing to sell, offers??

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894
Launch Rods.JPG

BEC, I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying; the two-piece screw together rods that are ubiquitous these days are aluminum now, but they were all steel back in the day. Are you saying that aluminum rods have only been around for the last 20 years or so, or are you saying that aluminum rods were phased out 20 years ago? Sort of sounds like the latter. Anyway, if you have the smaller diameter steel upper from the two-piece, all steel days and you want to part with it, let me know.

Aluminum rods like these! Thirty total willing to sell, offers??

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894

Well, are they less than 1/8” (something like 2 or 3/32”)? If 1/8” in diameter or larger, they are too big for my purposes. They look too large, to me.

My early 70's vintage Centuri two piece rod is copper. At least on the outside.

I’m seeking the smaller diameter upper piece of the old two-piece launch rods from back in the 1970’s. Have restored an old launch system and have everything back to A-1 except I don’t have that skinny upper half that fits into the lower half.
What brand are you talking about? The Estes 2-piece rod I have from around 1971/72 has both halves the same diameter. There is a small steel coupling sleeve that joins the two (just like a coupler for a rocket body tube). I ordered a new one for my niece's kids a couple years ago, and they haven't changed...

I remember the 2 piece steel rod from when I was a kid and how I launched and lost half using a Red Ryder. The two halves went together with a small roll pin as I recall

Okay… I’m just looking for this specific rod (probably regarded as some type of stiff wire at that diameter). I understand that there are solid rods, copper rods, roll pin rods, aluminum rods that screw together and so on. While variety is the spice of life, here I’m only interested in the old rod that was a two-piece. The upper rod was approximately 18” in length and of a smaller diameter than the lower, and the upper rod fit INTO the top of the lower rod (also approximately 18”), with no threads, no roll pins. Though I’ve been saying “steel”, the lower rod for this late 1960’s launch pad has an incuse stamping on it that says DX WELD NO 7 DRAWN IRON. The only thing I’m seeking to find out here is that you have that smaller diameter upper rod (whatever it’s composition) and are willing to part with it for a reasonable fee. If so, hit me back. If not, then there’s really nothing else to say. Thanks to all.

The only company I can recall that had a smaller diameter upper half of the launch rod was FSI.
The lower half of the launch rod was 3/16" diameter, the upper half was 1/8" diameter.

Every other company I can think of had a constant diameter launch rod.

The only company I can recall that had a smaller diameter upper half of the launch rod was FSI.
The lower half of the launch rod was 3/16" diameter, the upper half was 1/8" diameter.

Every other company I can think of had a constant diameter launch rod.
The launch rod I’m describing was issued by Centuri Engineering in the 1970’s.

Last edited:
Centuri used these two-piece, differing diameter rods in the late 1960’s and 1970’s. I’m a long-time collector and I currently have several that are part of complete vintage launch pad sets. I’m just looking for another to complete yet another launch set where this rod was original equipment. See the attached photo where reference to it is made in the instructions with this set.

CFD4C107-4B9E-48BD-96D5-CB42EC501B84.jpeg

Last edited:
What brand are you talking about? The Estes 2-piece rod I have from around 1971/72 has both halves the same diameter. There is a small steel coupling sleeve that joins the two (just like a coupler for a rocket body tube). I ordered a new one for my niece's kids a couple years ago, and they haven't changed...
Centuri. See attached photo of set instructions where reference is made to this rod.F3506A83-4B21-4DAF-9490-32C615450978.jpeg

I’m sorry but, respectfully, you’re misinformed. Centuri used these two-piece, differing diameter rods in the late 1960’s and 1970’s. I’m a long-time collector and I currently have several that are part of complete vintage launch pad sets. I’m just looking for another to complete yet another launch set where this rod was original equipment. See the attached photo where reference to it is made in the instructions with this set.

View attachment 500354
I had one of these!

This was a Centuri launch rod.

That's a unique launch rod. I don't ever remember seeing one of those.
But everything back in those days was by mail and mostly Estes.
I ordered a couple Centuri kits back in day, but never had much luck with them.
I hope you find what you seek. Sounds like you have a small home museum.

Back