Vintage Estes Spartan Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I found some Aerogloss balsa sealer stock at a hobby store so I am back in business. This is the vintage Spartan kit looks straight forward and uses the same balsa sheet as the old Estes Asteroid Explorer kit as you can see the extra balsa parts on the sheet. The wood is traditional Estes die crunched, but that's ok everything is else looks fine. So the far the build is straight forward after sanding all the balsa parts and installing the mini engine mount. I still have to apply a couple passes of glue fillets then on my next day off begin brushing on the balsa sealer.

DSC_0052 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0054 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0055 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0056 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0057 (681x1024).jpg

DSC_0061 (1024x681).jpg

I've always been curious about building this model because of the little fin tabs, and its clean look. Never did I realize that its fins were shared with the Asteroid Explorer! Craziness!

One of these was my very first rocket kit, back when I was about 9. Be aware that the fins can/do/will break along the grain line at the point where the leading edge steps out to the tip. I'm not sure if the fin tabs where there to reinforce it, but they don't. It doesn't help that this one comes down on a streamer rather than a parachute. I'd really suggest papering the fins if you're going to fly it.

Otherwise, nice job...

Looks like you've got another fine rocket there Scigs!

I actually have a .ork file for the Spartan already started... Those fins though stopped me for some reason... I can't remember the exact reason, but I'm guessing the image didn't have a ruler. I think I'll need to finish this sometime.

EDIT: Nope... My image includes a ruler. My second guess is that I probably just went to bed and woke up to find that Microsoft had shut down the computer and installed updates while I slept.

Last edited:
We have work going on in our house so my building has been limited these last couple of weeks. Now I am building on a TV tray so I will start a small build do to space. I sprayed a coat of primer on the rocket followed by old formula Krylon White and Red. I ended up buying a couple of cases of the old Industrial 5 Ball paint since I am giving up on Rustoleum. I forgot how easy it is to paint with the old Formula paint. Old formula Krylon goes on much smoother, dries faster but not as glossy as Rusto and I'm ok with that. The decal is one large roll on decal and being old it was a little challenge. I should have cut each one separate, but it all worked out in the end.

DSC_0071 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0072 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0074 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0076 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0082 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0087 (1024x681).jpg

Nice work indeed!
I thought it was interesting there were three name decals, it makes more sense now
that it was a full, roll-around decal.

Back