Vintage Estes Quasar Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Since I am off work today and waiting for my Streak to dry. I decided to start on my next build. The parts are in great condition and so is the foil decal. The decal has lost a little of its tackiness so I will spray the back with adhesive to make it stick better. I will build it straight out of the package and leave the white plastic alone with no paint. The white plastic is a closer match to the white decal than I can produce with white paint. Also the white decal is flat and not glossy. Should be done in a few hours.
DSC_0001.jpg

I wonder when Estes stopped making the clipped version? I saw this kit in the hobby store in or around 1980 and it had the Alpha white fin can. Maybe someone around these parts could give me a little history lesson on this kit. The other question I have is did Estes change the decal? The word Quasar is facing the wrong direction on my kit vs the face card. Any way, I am all done. Also the Alpha rocket next to the Quasar has the decal I made from my Alps printer. Some time back, someone was trying to clone this rocket but did not have the decal. At that time there was no after market Quasar decal, so I made him on. The one in the picture is the first one I made to see how it worked. The fin can is just sitting in there not glued in. Maybe I will turn this one into the Citation version. Fast easy build with simple school supplies. I will finish the Streak tomorrow and then start on the Mark II.

DSC_00012.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Wow, forgot about this old Quasar kit. I moved out of the Alpha-type rockets pretty quickly onto the wierder ones like the Odyssey and Andromeda and so forth. I had to laugh when I saw the first picture here because my art desk looks exactly the same right now with the green cutting mat and my Rigel 3 parts all laid out. I probably shouldn't say this, but I think I would have cut that silver portion of the decal off and moved it to the other side, I like the names reading upward like the face card. Looks nice though!

Back