Vintage Estes Nova Scout Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed :pop:. I've been building a lot of LPR kits since returning to model rocketry last year after a 25+ year break and really enjoying the memories as I go. What year was this kit made available?

I think this kit came out in 1983.
I have finished the build and brushed on 4 coats of balsa sealer, as soon as the rain stops I will spray with black paint. In the meantime I was able to finish my Guillows P-40, I brushed painted with Testors Acrylic paints. The 1/72 F-14 is an old Monogram snaptite kit airbrushed with Testors paints.

DSC_0265 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0267 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0272 (1024x681).jpg

It is going to rain again so I was able to get her painted today and will allow to dry before applying the decals. I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss sealer and sprayed Old Krylon Gloss black. After the decals I may hit her with Testors Dullcote. The balsa came out nice thanks to Aerogloss but I discovered today that Midwest will no longer produce the Aerogloss line, too many regulations. I am going to try Brodak and hope it works as well. I am hoping this does not happen with my Testors enamels someday, I keep hearing talk from modelers that enamels will eventually be a thing of the past.

DSC_0267 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0271 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0275 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0276 (1024x681).jpg

Looks great so far. The orange inlet/exhaust is perfect; really sets it off! I've still got a few bottles of AeroGloss and I'm really going to miss it when it's gone. I've tried thinned CWF and I just don't think it's near as good as AG. Haven't heard of Brodak; I'll be looking for your report on it.

It is going to rain again so I was able to get her painted today and will allow to dry before applying the decals. I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss sealer and sprayed Old Krylon Gloss black. After the decals I may hit her with Testors Dullcote. The balsa came out nice thanks to Aerogloss but I discovered today that Midwest will no longer produce the Aerogloss line, too many regulations. I am going to try Brodak and hope it works as well. I am hoping this does not happen with my Testors enamels someday, I keep hearing talk from modelers that enamels will eventually be a thing of the past.

How did you get such clean lines on the orange inside the tube?

I finished my Estes Nova Scout and I must say she is a pretty nice design. I am not too happy with the decals but they will have to do. The problem is the rocket is supposed to be black, but the yellow decals don't have a white undercoat so they appear translucent. I finished her up with Testors dullcote and cannot wait to see her in the air. I would like to move onto my next build but I will have to wait until my Brodak balsa sealer arrives.

DSC_0263 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0266 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0269 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0276 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0279 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0285 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0287 (1024x681).jpg

She turned out great and I really like the matt finish.

Ditto - I like the Matte finish as well. Great work overall!
That is strange about the decals not having a white undercoat.
Did you go with the streamer recovery or a parachute?

Chris, I went with the stream, she is pretty light since all I used was Aerogloss sealer and paint without primer.

Back