Vintage Estes Manta Bomber Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Here is a classic that is one of my favorite rockets, the Manta Bomber out of the bag. Back in the mid 80s I bought one of these as a young teenager and really struggled to put her together. Any way I eventually put her together and she was not perfect but flew just fine. If I remember correctly, I don't think I even painted the rocket. A couple of years later my local hobby store was going out of business and I bought another Manta Bomber. I never opened up the kit and forgot all about it until my pops found my old model kits. When I was going through the box I found this kit and was so excited. When I first got back into rocketry I was shocked how hard it was to find this kit. Well I think Estes only produced it for two years. I ended up cloning one 10 years ago before I had the actual kit. Now I have 2 of these kits and decided to finally build one. Oh I love these old kits, die cut balsa with no laser burnt parts. Sure it takes more time to sand and match up the fins, but that is ok with me. I am building this kit with no modifications using plain ole white glue. After sanding the fins, I brushed on 2 coats of Brodak sealer followed by a good smooth sanding. Since this is old balsa I decided to brush on one more coat of sealer followed by sanding. Not bad, only 2 sandings for a smooth balsa finish. I then went on building the rocket and she was all built in one day. Next day I shot Krylon Acryli Quik Gloss white without primer and next will be the decals.

Attachments

SCIGS30

Reaction score
My Manta Bomber is ready for flight, final weight minus engine is 1.73oz. Model has been built with the same techniques I would have used back in the 1980s. White glue for the build, balsa sealer and Glossy White paint only no primer or fillers. I am always amazed how well these old vintage decals perform, this kit is 35 years old. I can honestly say these old decals work better than the newer decals and I don't use any decal solutions. The Jt-80 ring decal is one long wrap on decal and it went on great. Not bad for a 3 day build.

Attachments

OC-Patrick

Reaction score
what is the diameter for the main body tube? AC Supply has those sci-fi nose cones and this build just inspired me to scratch-build one.

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice as always. I'm getting very tempted to try the Acryli-Quik for paint jobs that use just a few basic colors.

SCooke123

Reaction score
Turned out great!!! I built one years ago - still haven't flown it...........

regent

Reaction score
very nice build, how many coats of paint did it take?

I have a project that I need to paint with out primer and might try this Acryil-Quik paint out.

Leo

Reaction score
Very nice!

And now you have two in your fleet ;)

nosecone

Reaction score
Terrific looking rockets. Thank you for sharing.

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this with us, that is one fantastic looking rocket.