Vintage Estes Icarus build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Next build, another fun simple build. All parts look to be in great condition and will begin building this tonight.
100_4023.jpg

I love that Icaras.
The Icarus was my first rocket. Not knowing what to expect ....I built her the best I could. I was 11 years old. Hauled all the stuff in my bike paper basket up to the local football field by myself. Sunk the 1/8
rod into the ground. Lit the green fuse on a A8-3.(Disclaimer: Would never recommend doing this. Always use electronic launch systems! ) she arced over at about 215 ft and landed just feet from me.

That was it... I was hooked.
I've been flying for the last 35 years.
WOW rockets are fun!!!

I Love That Icuarus.
I think I still have pieces of the original still around. Think i will put her back together again.

CornyL

I built a MaxiIcarus when I was a kid. I didn't tighten the set screw in the pad after adjustung the rod. Just as the motor lit, the dang thing fell over and was pointed at my head! Me and my buddy didn't know we could move that fast! It ended up a quarter mile away in a tree.

Both Icarus models were really sweet.

Hmmmm.....

Had an Icarus that I built as a kid so the construction was not exactly the best but it was a great flier until I lost it one unfortunate day some years ago. Always liked that one though.

Glenn

I have the Icarus ready for 3 coats of balsa sealer then I will begin painting. Other than the nose and fins, I think this kit could be built from the Estes Nova.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DUDE! You have a F.A.G.! Sweet!

Also, VERY nice rocket. Icarus is kind of a classic rocket.

Thats it! I am going to find my old Icurus parts and put her back together.

If I remember correctly the paint and painting on the shoulder of the nosecone
is tricky. The paint on the shoulder would basically bond like glue the payload section and the nosecone together. This would make removing the nosecone a real pain
and resulted in chipped paint .
Possible solution would be to sand the shoulder a little bit and stretch some black electrical tape around it. Just an Idea.

Also the bottom of edge of the fins used to get pretty scorched which is noticable on the white fins. Don't have any real good solution for that except maybe some extra clearcoat on them.
CornyL

I bought 2 of them on eBay, great little device. I don't use them for fin alignment, I just like how cool it looks to have an old rocket sitting on an old jig. My Icarus is all painted and will begin applying the decals today. I brushed on 2 coats of Decal Restore so the decals should be ready shortly.

Couple of coats of primer followed by Glossy white and decals. The decals were coated with Microscale products and still the two wrap around decals were a pain.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Awesome work SCIGS!!! They don't get any better than that.

For those who dig the Icarus, check this out.

The RED ONE is mostly an Icarus without the payload bay. The fins have been moved up from the base of the tube, and a boat-tail was added. The NC is from an Alpha. I added a spare Sprint Nose weight (my NC is balsa and a little lighter then the plastic) and it flies quite nicely on a "B". Not quite as high as a Sprint, but still really nice.

Just for kicks I threw in the Open Rocket file for it.

95est60.jpg

View attachment Performance.ork

94est60.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back