Vintage Estes Dasher Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I remember getting this rocket from a Christmas Wishbook catalog in the 80s for Christmas and it was a fun build. Back then I was not very good at building but she still flew great. I just bought this kit off Ebay and had to build it. It was an easy build using Elmers Glue All. Since I did not us primer I had to brush on 4 coats of balsa sealer for a smooth grain free build. I am using Krylon industrial paint, two lite coats followed by one wet coat. I do not have purple paint so I ordered a case of old Krylon purple industrial paint. I still cannot believe how lite these non primer builds are, should be good flyers. You can see the balsa is nice and smooth and yes I can live with the spirals as long as the rest of the build is clean.

DSC_0211 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0218 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0219 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0225 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0230 (1280x851).jpg

Estes Dasher.jpg

My case of Industrial Krylon Purple came the other day so I was able to finish the Dasher. Even with no primer the white and purple covered perfectly, sure beats using Rustoleum or other Enamel sprays. The Krylon can has changed from the old 5 ball design but the paint and nozzle is still the same, that is a good thing. Since I did not add any primer the rocket is pretty lite and came in at the package weight. You can see from the balsa fins how well coats of Aerogloss sealer work. Once again I am trying to keep my builds simple but still looking pretty good. I was on youtube and found this really nice looking Estes Interceptor, the finish looks flawless. The build used Zpoxy to fill the balsa and spirals for a glass like finish. I guess the model ship builders and Guitar builders use this stuff because if and fills and sands great.
[video=youtube;d_XwhCufo4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_XwhCufo4I[/video]

DSC_0226 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0231 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0232 (1280x851).jpg

Back