Vintage Estes Colussus Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
This will be a fun build, and sweet, no balsa to fill:D
I have two of these kits and they are identical except for the nose cone. This one has a white nose and the second kit I own has a white nose. Not that is matters since I will painting it white.
DSC_0049-3.jpg

DSC_0050-4.jpg

[
DSC_0051-4.jpg

DSC_0052-3.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

That fin can should be interesting. Kinda like the Maxi-Alpha.

Make sure you use epoxy on that fin can, otherwise the fins will continuously pop or break.

I finally finished this beast. It is a nice looking rocket too bad the fins were not wood. This project took way too much time but at least it is behind me and time to move onto another vintage rocket. The decals were tough to put on, but I just laid down a bed of water first and soaked the decals for a min each. Not much time to move them around once they are on. Sorry about the poor pictures, our SLR is in the shop and this is our back up camera. The package list the weight at over 9 oz, mine is 12 oz complete.
100_3976.jpg

100_3977.jpg

100_3978.jpg

100_3983.jpg

100_3984.jpg

Holy conan on the decals:) Such a neat piece of nostalgia that rocket and a you did a great job on it :)
Cheers
fred

really nice job!!

easy enough to clone the shape of the kit ... but ... did you scan the decals?

That fin can should be interesting. Kinda like the Maxi-Alpha.

Make sure you use epoxy on that fin can, otherwise the fins will continuously pop or break.

Agreed, my old Maxi ALpha never made a landing that didn't pop a fin.

I did scan the decals, but they are so big I am unable to post on the forum so if you want it I can send you an email. These would be a tough decal to get exact since they are copper or bronze in color, and that is hard to see on my scan. I ended up using epoxy on the fins and epoxy fillets to smooth it all out. Papa Tango makes a decal for this kit, that would be better than the scan I have.
DSC_0039-6.jpg

Back