Vintage Estes Blue Bird Zero Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I am off to my next build, so I opened up my Blue Bird and started to build. Looks like a straight forward build and all the parts are in great shape.
DSC_0113-5.jpg

:eek: The rocket gods will not be pleased building an original BBZ kit.

Just kidding, I envisioned my hands catching fire if I were to open an original BBZ kit to build it.

I'm sure it will look awesome when you're done. ;)

:eek: The rocket gods will not be pleased building an original BBZ kit.

Just kidding, I envisioned my hands catching fire if I were to open an original BBZ kit to build it.

I'm sure it will look awesome when you're done. ;)

Not to mention that ALL of the Magic Dust has no been spread to the winds!!!

Hey wait a minute.......don't you produce the BBZ as a kit???:D

Rockets are for building and flying regardless if they are new or vintage; NOT collecting dust on an out-of-way shelf in a closet somewhere.

I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I don't see the "thrill" in collecting an unassembled, still-in-the-bag paper, plastic, and balsa rocket. It should be built, painted, and enjoyed being flown.

Rockets are for building and flying regardless if they are new or vintage; NOT collecting dust on an out-of-way shelf in a closet somewhere.

I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I don't see the "thrill" in collecting an unassembled, still-in-the-bag paper, plastic, and balsa rocket. It should be built, painted, and enjoyed being flown.

And so it starts... :rolleyes:

I am almost done with the construction and will post pictures shortly.

I have the Blue Bird Zero built and waiting for the fillets to dry. I will begin priming on my next day off.
DSC_01152.jpg

Always loved the BBZ. Good style, cool graphics, and good paint scheme make for a neat looking rocket.

It is on my long list of rockets I missed when not in rocketry that I intend to scratch/clone..

Another nice clean build Scigs! ;)

It needs a crisp white, and a punchy blue. A light royal, or a faint 'true' blue. There are even a few 'metallic blues' that I've pondered!

Love the BBZ!

It needs a crisp white, and a punchy blue. A light royal, or a faint 'true' blue. There are even a few 'metallic blues' that I've pondered!

Love the BBZ!

The Rustoleum Metallic Blue comes to mind! :D

Still flying my RedBird Zero from the 80's, but did a "standard" paint scheme BlueBird Zero Micro downscale just so the purest wouldn't pitch a fit...LOL just kidding.

I do prefer the metallic Gold/CandyApple Red over the blue/white tho.

Scigs30 good looking build. Looking forward to seeing the bad boy painted. The BBZ is still my fav of all lpr rockets. I liked it so much I did a semi upscale for my L3 and it was called Black Bird Zero (pic below) Micro I love the Red Bird Zero.

DSCN0290c2.jpg

Dragons_Fire_-_May-June08_048.jpg

Going to order the clone from InFlight. That was on in the old estes catalogs that I always wanted along with the goblin which I am working on.

Never really thought of the BBZ as vintage, but it's a simple to build great flying design. The decals are really neat, and really hook you to build it. This is one I would think that Estes should consider bringing back. However, Inflight's kit is top notch!

I am all done, these old decals were a pain in the *^^&, but after 3 coats of liquid decal film and clear spray they did ok. Once in position I did not have much time to move adjust the decals.
DSC_00034.jpg

DSC_00083.jpg

DSC_00113.jpg

DSC_00103.jpg

WOW!!!!!! :cheers: Nice Job. Only problem is it looks like it just screams 24mm :y:

very nice.
i would never have opened the kit.
seeing it finished, maybe building it wasn't so bad an idea.

i wouldn't fly it though! :)

Back