Vintage Estes Big Bertha Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Well I figured now is a good time to start on my Vintage Big Bertha build. I have about 4 of these kits from different eras. I did notice the new black version has smaller fins than this version. This version also has the 2 piece nose and I have to cut my own fins. Yea.

DSC_0080-1.jpg

Looks like they were generous with the launch lug back in the "astron" days.

I've scratch built so many berthas and variants, that I made a hardwood fin template. I can crank out a set of fins in less than 5 minutes now!

Very cool ! Are you going to match the paint scheme on the packaging ?

How much bigger are the old fins ? I know the Baby Bertha has smaller fins than the current BB, but wasn't aware the older models had larger fins.

SS

Very cool ! Are you going to match the paint scheme on the packaging ?

How much bigger are the old fins ? I know the Baby Bertha has smaller fins than the current BB, but wasn't aware the older models had larger fins.

SS
I am doing the 1979 catalog finish.

Here is the size difference of the old fins vs the new laser cut fins. I have the motor mount done and fins cut out.
DSC_0074-5.jpg

The fin on the right is the new laser cut fin.
DSC_0075-3.jpg

DSC_0076-3.jpg

I wonder why Estes changed the fin size.

Just a guess, but maybe to reduce weather cocking? Or just a way to save a bit of money on balsa? Perhaps both? :dontknow:

I have a vintage Big Bertha sitting on the shelf that simply needs a new stuffer tube (old one is already gone, as are the rings). I guess one day soon I'll have to get that replaced and fly him again. Even today, I admire the paint job it has. Seems I had more patience in my finishing as a kid then I do now as an adult. :eek:
Craig

Interesting, I never knew or read anywhere about the size difference between the fins of the new vs old Bertha kits. That's a fairly large difference, but I can't see where it would be a savings in balsa.

Looks like they were generous with the launch lug back in the "astron" days.
They still were as of the last time I built one (my second.) I don't know that I used it all. I also added a 3/16 lug for when I fly it with a 24mm motor and want a beefier launch rod.

I have the Big Bertha all built, balsa and spirals filled and ready for primer. I compared these fins with my Big Bertha from 1986 the die cut version, and they are the same size. So something happened between the die cut version and the new laser cut version. Oh well.
JYUIF.jpg

LBBBL.jpg

Nice, but is it just me or does the fin on the left in the last picture look bigger than the one on the right? Is it an illusion?

It's an optical dillusion. The left fin is slightly further up on the body then the right one is. Of course that would depend if you were standing in front or behind the rocket, and that is assuming that your eyeballs were level with the base that the rocket is standing one, and if the picture has not been digitally developed , and you are upwind of an obvious downwind picture, and finally that you are indeed standing in the saqme room and looking at the rocket that you thought you were looking at in the first place.

I need a beer,
Wayne

I took the picture and it came out sideways so I had to upright the picture....That is why everything looks crooked, sorry.

I have been real busy, but finally found some time to work on my rockets. This one took a little longer because of masking the different colors and I had to wait for my 1/2 inch detail tape to arrive. Well it is all done and can't wait to fly it in a couple of weeks. If things look a little crooked, it is because I had to up right the pictures and they came out a little skewed.
3EE3.jpg

2334.jpg

AEE344.jpg

D4456.jpg

Yes it is the old Krylon from my WWIII stock piling. I maybe some day Krylon will go back to the old formula.

Back