Vintage Estes Airborne Surveillance Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I know Estes is coming out with an updated version of the Airborne Surveillance Missile, so I figured I would build my vintage kit first. Nothing beats the smell of an old Estes kit, slightly deformed tubes and die crushed wood.:)

DSC_0211 (1280x851).jpg

. . . Nothing beats the smell of an old Estes kit, slightly deformed tubes and die crushed wood.:)

That did crack me up!
It looks like there is not many parts. Streamer recovery?

I'll be flying my old bird tomorrow at Freedom Launch SC. I ditched the streamer, using a 12" chute instead.

I know Estes is coming out with an updated version of the Airborne Surveillance Missile, so I figured I would build my vintage kit first. Nothing beats the smell of an old Estes kit, slightly deformed tubes and die crushed wood.:)

You know… really good scans of this thing would be appreciated by the public… I'm just saying. I've been working on collecting scans of stuff to put a new plans site up. Something between JimZ and Ye Olde Rocket Plans.

Flew mine again today.

You are going to be surprised how well it flies on an Estes A10-3T.

Estes_Airborne_Surveillance_Missile.jpg

Last edited:
Sigs:
Never had one of the Estes Airborne Surveillance Missiles back in the day. Not sure how I missed it but it just didn't make my view.
A very interesting design howeverl, so you guessed it. I had to downscale it to fly on a Micro Maxx Motor. At 11.8 grams it's on the heavy side but flies very nicely.

MM 372Lp02c_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Ct down_11-19-11.jpg

MM 372Lp02d_MM AirborneSurveillanceMissile Liftoff_11-19-11.jpg

MM 372_MM T3-T5 Airborne Surveillance Missile_04-17-11.jpg

You have made a good choice with this "blast from the past". I am looking forward to seeing its completion.

Sorry if this has already been kicked around before - I'm still a fairly new-ish BAR - but this design looks very adaptable to a two-stage up-scale. I think I'll buy one when Estes brings it back and fiddle with making a bigger version with a booster. Anybody taken a whack at doing that already?

The build is complete just needs a few coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer and off to the paint shop.

DSC_0228 (1238x1280).jpg

I have been busy but I was able to find some time to start painting. I applied my 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer then sprayed old formula Krylon Black, Orange, and white. Once again no primer just the balsa sealer and paint. After this dries I will apply the old decals.

DSC_0207 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0212 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0214 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0224 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0226 (1280x851).jpg

i want this kit... :drool::drool::drool:

and i want to upscale it... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

plus it's gonna get staged... :headbang::headbang::headbang:

anyone have the ORK?

fm

Last edited:
Last edited:
That looks good. Great job!
I wouldn't be able to build this and leave the fins squared on their leading edges though :facepalm:. Anybody else have that problem? For me, every/any fin has to have some sort of aerodynamic shaping done to it :wink:.

If I could get a reasonable sim of the nosecone, I'd try to create a .ork file for this.

i'd leave em square for the original, but the upscale would be aero'd up

This bird (other than the interceptor series) from estes has been my most wanted rocket since i was in my 20's. Navy career and life got in the way, but it is one of my top 2 favs of all time...

CAN'T WAIT until they release...:cool:

fm

K'Tesh if you ever get the information you need to simulate this, can you upscale it for a 24mm motor? This would look so good in a bigger scale.

That looks good. Great job!
I wouldn't be able to build this and leave the fins squared on their leading edges though :facepalm:. Anybody else have that problem? For me, every/any fin has to have some sort of aerodynamic shaping done to it :wink:.

I too suffer from this. We should form a support group or something.

if i can't find one before the re-release, i'll get one and doc it for ya. Other than reducing the aft fins on an upscale, i will make it to mpr or bigger with this design...

fm

getting impatient here... when is it coming out... when can i get one... i'll stop all builds inpro so i can re-live this bird...

Guess you can see that patience is not a very well traveled road with me... (or at least not tolerated very well...) :bangpan:

fm

I have had a busy month so this little rocket had to sit on the back burner for awhile. I finally got around to adding the original decals and she is ready for flight. I keep checking my local hobby store for the new release kit from Estes but it has not shown up yet, cannot wait to build another one of these.

DSC_0207 (1143x1280).jpg

DSC_0208 (1280x1270).jpg

DSC_0211 (1280x851).jpg

I have had a busy month so this little rocket had to sit on the back burner for awhile. I finally got around to adding the original decals and she is ready for flight. I keep checking my local hobby store for the new release kit from Estes but it has not shown up yet, cannot wait to build another one of these.

I think that every time I see a posted pic of a beautifully constructed model it makes me want one, regardless of whether the face card image had piqued my interest at all. :facepalm: It's actually sort of weird, since after all the facecard image is also a picture of a model.

In any case, very nice work and yes I want one now. :)

:w::w::w::w::w::w::w::w:
:wave: it is now available from estes:wave:

I'm getting 2

:headbang::headbang::headbang: fm: :headbang::headbang::headbang:

oh, did I mention I will have an ORK file done as soon as I get it? Oh yeah baby!!!:headbang:

Last edited:
I think that every time I see a posted pic of a beautifully constructed model it makes me want one, regardless of whether the face card image had piqued my interest at all. :facepalm: It's actually sort of weird, since after all the facecard image is also a picture of a model.

In any case, very nice work and yes I want one now. :)

I'm with you Neil. This one never really appealed to me at all, but after seeing Scigs beautiful build I think I need to do one too.

Great job Scigs!

this thing just begs to be up-scaled and staged...:drool:

GJ SCIG, hope mine turns out as good looking!

fm

Back