Viking Fin alignment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
I want to start building my Estes Viking this weekend. I want to use all 5 fins Id really prefer a 6th fin but. Is there a way to properly align them. There was no fin alignment template in the sealed bag. Thanx.

On the second page of the instructions there are three gray fin template overlays near the bottom of the page.
Use the five fin overlay. Line up the end of the tube over the circle and line up your fins put a tic mark on the tube. Use an angle tool to extend the line. Glue fins on. Check for perpendicularity by lining up the other end of the tube on the template and sighting down the tube.
Or, you can scan and print the overlay onto cardstock and glue to cardboard and cut it out, then use like a fin jig.

Last edited:
I want to use all 5 fins Id really prefer a 6th fin
You really like living on the edge, you radical! ;)

Kidding aside, have a great flight. Your rocket may be a bit overstable, but unless it is really windy, shouldn't be a problem. Overstable is definitely better than Understable.

You really like living on the edge, you radical! ;)

Kidding aside, have a great flight. Your rocket may be a bit overstable, but unless it is really windy, shouldn't be a problem. Overstable is definitely better than Understable.

Well considering my machine shop has made some "captive fin rings" for prototype rockets. Years ago. With small winglets inside a ring that was all one piece. Cant show photos because of an NDA but it was 60 small winglets inside a ring with a 10" diameter and the Insider diameter of this ring was 4" all cut from aluminum That rocket flew almost 90,000 feet and was basically a laser beam to apogee. I had to go to Colorado to watch the launch. It was my design and my "engineering" and they scrapped the plans for a much cheaper option.

Well considering my machine shop has made some "captive fin rings" for prototype rockets. Years ago. With small winglets inside a ring that was all one piece. Cant show photos because of an NDA but it was 60 small winglets inside a ring with a 10" diameter and the Insider diameter of this ring was 4" all cut from aluminum That rocket flew almost 90,000 feet and was basically a laser beam to apogee. I had to go to Colorado to watch the launch. It was my design and my "engineering" and they scrapped the plans for a much cheaper option.
Wow! Very impressive! Welcome back to model rocketry. I am sure you will have no problems with the Viking.

There are 4 different mounting surfaces (Root Edge) on the Viking's fins.
Use four fins and a different Root Edge on each one.
Should make and interesting look and flight.
You can also use 3 fins on the aft and use 2 for canards, which is cool looking.
If you have a coupler or balsa bulkhead, you can put 2 kits together and have 10 fins to play with.
The Viking is a playground for the imagination. That's why I bought a dozen on sale.
I have 60 fins to play with, but those card stock fins don't last long.
I'll be making new ones out of balsa.
Have fun, and enjoy!!!

There are 4 different mounting surfaces (Root Edge) on the Viking's fins.
Use four fins and a different Root Edge on each one.
Should make and interesting look and flight.
You can also use 3 fins on the aft and use 2 for canards, which is cool looking.
If you have a coupler or balsa bulkhead, you can put 2 kits together and have 10 fins to play with.
The Viking is a playground for the imagination. That's why I bought a dozen on sale.
I have 60 fins to play with, but those card stock fins don't last long.
I'll be making new ones out of balsa.
Have fun, and enjoy!!!

Yeah I was thinking about using calipers and taking some measurements and have my laser guy cut some new ones. Or just find some balsa wood locally (not many craft or hobby shops around me) and trace out the pattern of one fin and cut a few extra. Yeah the cardstock fins seem like they wont last long. Considered also making a 2 stage rocket out of this kit buy adding other components. I will definitely buy a few other of these kits to see what I can get away with., LOL

No need to overthink this. It's a beginners' rocket.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, here's three thousand words:
0615210822[1].jpg
0615210821[1].jpg
0615210825[1].jpg

And BTW, the fins are fiber, not cardstock. Big difference.
In fact I believe 1/16" fiber is actually heavier (and therefore denser) than 1/16" balsa.
Have flown several rockets with fiber and even cereal box cardboard fins painted with CA with no damage.

No need to overthink this. It's a beginners' rocket.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, here's three thousand words:
View attachment 468967
View attachment 468968
View attachment 468969

And BTW, the fins are fiber, not cardstock. Big difference.
In fact I believe 1/16" fiber is actually heavier (and therefore denser) than 1/16" balsa.
Have flown several rockets with fiber and even cereal box cardboard fins painted with CA with no damage.
I didnt even realize that pattern was there until you mentioned it. But yeah. I found another source online for multiple fin and tube layouts

Dave Thomas has a YT series on mashing Viking kits together. I’ve built 4.5 out of the 12 pack. Two are lost but the first one refuses to die because it’s a true warrior and has survived 6 launches on a C6. My secret is to put lots of clay in the NC.

Back