Viewing threads with new posts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ymj365

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm probably missing something really simple, but when I come back to TRF after a day or so away, I'll click the view new posts link and get a whole bunch of threads listed (several pages worth, say dozens). I view a few threads (say six) and then get interrupted (kids or hunger or girlfriend... whatever). When I come back and click the new posts link again, I might get seven or so threads listed. What happened to the dozens (less 1/2) that I didn't read?!!

It seems like the action of searching for new posts appears to mark those posts as not new. Or maybe it is just because I do the first search at maybe 11pm, so it lists all the new posts for today, and then when I do the second search it is after midnight, so it only lists the new posts since midnight (I haven't tried to verify either of these guesses... I'm just taking shots in the dark.)

BTW- I'll freely admit that I've not used systems like TRF very much (though I used to spend hours each day on BBS's 15-20 years ago).

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

What it does is look at the time you were last on TRF, then when you click "view new posts" it lists all the threads that have been posted in since you last visited.

If you close your browser or leave it for any length of time (???) that can reset the cookie so when you search again you see all the posts in the last half hour or whatever.

Something like that anyway!

Yeah - I don't know the exact timing, but if you're logged in long enough, it'll mark everything as old on you. I've had that happen a few times.

Happens to me too. I wish I knew where that time-out value was so we could lengthen it to say 24hours or so. At least that way if you left your browser up it wouldn't reset the new flag for long enough for you to get back from your emergency.

A couple of other (inferior) forums I have belonged to at one time or another, have a 'View today's active threads' button. I've always found this feature helpful in stuations like you're describing.

Maybe we could have one of these buttons?

I'd like to see a button in each thread listed that would allow you to view only the new posts within that thread, rather than only being able to view the whole thread or bring up only the last post.

Also, the "take me to the latest unread post" or something like that button usually takes me to the first post in the thread, how does it determine what you have and havent read?

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
how does it determine what you have and havent read?
Heres a hint:
cookie_monster.jpg

;)

Originally posted by Mike
Dan you're making no sense! :D
LOL - no change there then! ;)

Its cooooooookieeeeeeeeeees. Thats how a website works out weather you've visited a thread recently etc..

Originally posted by Davel
I'd like to see a button in each thread listed that would allow you to view only the new posts within that thread, rather than only being able to view the whole thread or bring up only the last post.

At the top of the page left side above " Author" there is a hyper link "go to first unread post" to the newest message since your last visit to the thread. Make sure your security settings are not blocking this feature and it should work fine.

Does for me anyway.

Originally posted by HeadHunter
At the top of the page left side above " Author" there is a hyper link "go to first unread post" to the newest message since your last visit to the thread. Make sure your security settings are not blocking this feature and it should work fine.

Does for me anyway.

Thank you. The couple of times I've tried that, there must of been only one new post - as it seemed to take me to the same place the 'lastpost' icon did. But now I see it does take me to the first unread post..

Back