View New Posts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Rick James

Reaction score
I like this feature and use it a lot... but sometimes, when I get on after being away a while... it tells be that me search did not return any hits -- in other words no "new posts" -- and I know that is not true.

So I have to go through each forum and try to figure out what I have seen and what I haven't -- which is sometimes a challenge because the clock is wrong -- but that's another thread...

Anyway... another forum I frequent has a feature called "View Today's Posts" which actually just looks at the last 24 hours, sorted by last reply time. Would this be possible? Well, maybe something to think about...

jflis

Reaction score
This comes up from time to time...

The button "View New Posts" is actually a misnomer...

The forum tool does not keep track of what posts or threads you have looked at. It records the time you entered and compairs it to the last time you logged out and it displays all posts made between those two times as "new posts" whether or not you have seen them.

*then* what happens, after some programed time period, the forum will *reset* on you. It will reset and display all "new posts" made between "right now" and when you logged in, clearing out the list from before.

The only solution is to call up any of the "new posts" that you want to read within a reasonable time period (10 minutes??) in new windows and then read them at your leasure.

Forum Admin/Moderators: do we know what this time limit is before the forum will reset like this? Length of time after login?

jim

brianc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Rick James

Anyway... another forum I frequent has a feature called "View Today's Posts" which actually just looks at the last 24 hours, sorted by last reply time. Would this be possible? Well, maybe something to think about...
If you logout and browse as a guest, there is a "Today's posts" link on the main page.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
The only solution is to call up any of the "new posts" that you want to read within a reasonable time period (10 minutes??) in new windows and then read them at your leasure.

And this can be hard to do if you have not been on for a few days and there are 150-200 new posts. I end up missing a lot of "new posts" because of the "reset"

I was wondering up there could be a way to "off-load" a list of new posts. Or create a text file? Then one could go back to the actual forums and read the posts......

Mike

Reaction score
This may be obvious but a lot of people seem to have trouble...for some reason I never do.

I hit the new posts button and it takes me to the results page, I click a thread then when I've read it I press the back button on my browser to go back to the results, then click another thread....and so on. I can't remember ever losing the results whilst using the back button.

hokkyokusei

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike
This may be obvious but a lot of people seem to have trouble...for some reason I never do.

I hit the new posts button and it takes me to the results page, I click a thread then when I've read it I press the back button on my browser to go back to the results, then click another thread....and so on. I can't remember ever losing the results whilst using the back button.
But neither do you get any "new" new posts.

wwattles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike

Also, this becomes a lot more difficult if you are replying in a thread, because then you have to back out through the reply/edit screens as well.

WW

brianc

Reaction score
Originally posted by wwattles
Also, this becomes a lot more difficult if you are replying in a thread, because then you have to back out through the reply/edit screens as well.

WW
After getting the main 'new posts' threads, try opening any you want to read in a
new window (or tab if you browser supports it). Then your 'back button' issue goes
away- simply close the new window when done. Saves time too, because you don't
have to re-render the page everytime.