Video editing. Specifically dynamic cropping.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of our launches with video. I DON'T use the digital zoom, and only limited optical zoom. This lets me keep the rocket in frame almost all the time. But it becomes a small. I shoot at the highest resolution I can, so there is lots of pixels. I can zoom in a capture a still image, that looks reasonable. What I want to do is edit the video in a way that allows me to dynamically zoom (crop) the video so it looks like I had "tracking" on the rocket.
Does anyone have a recommendation for video editing software, for a PC, that can do this?

Yes, Adobe Premiere makes that fairly straightforward. I use Premier Pro and usually manually set up motion tracking.

Both Premier Pro and Elements offer automated motion tracking. I don't have any experience with that, but you can easily find tutorials about it.

I mostly record in 4K and edit my videos in 1024. So, "zooming in" a little during post isn't a big deal. Zooming in a lot can cause the quality to noticably degrade.

Back