video editing question..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryb

Reaction score
guys and gals out there.. I have a problemo...

I took my digital camera to the launch saturday..and video'd several of mine and others launches....

I didnt think about it.. and took the shots with the camera turned sideways... like you might for a still... to get a wider field of view...

now, however, upon viewing the mpg files... they are sideways when you view them... none of the viewers have a "rotate 90 deg" option that I have found..

does anyone know of an inexpensive way to edit these files to rotate them, and then save them.

thanks in advance.
Jerryb

Nothing that does not require software...expensive software

you could try playing the video and re-recording it sideways...

You might try a local college who has courses in video production. They might have the technology available.

Have had the same problem myself and got a bad kink in my neck from viewing the crooked videos.

If you have Windows XP the Movie Maker program under accessories in the Start menu will do what you want. It is a pretty darned good program, easy to use and you can make movies with caption, transitions, sound, etc. And the best part is you can rotate those ill-fitting videos on you card!

Give it a try and post here your progress, eh?

Movie maker will rotate video? Cool...

I never take Microsoft freebies seriously. Only thing is that this is, I think, XP only.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Movie maker will rotate video? Cool...

I never take Microsoft freebies seriously. Only thing is that this is, I think, XP only.

dude... the movie maker worked like a champ!!! thanks

now i need a better quality digital camera!! lol

and some practice following the shot.

anyway... I posted them to my server...

https://www.gbtech.us/oct3004

I put the original files for the first two clips (the mpg ones)

thanks again
Jerryb

dude... the movie maker worked like a champ!!!

Glad it worked for you. I can't take the credit, though, another rocketeer passed the info on Movie Maker along to me.

If you ever have the time you can make some pretty cool 'films' with this program. It can be a little time consuming but after a while you'll learn the program develop your own style.

Anyway - I just got a new new digital camera myself. It's a Fuji FinePix S 5100. Unfortunatley for me, my rocket flying is done for the season (it gets too cold up here for me!) so I'll have to develop the skills with it over the winter. It has a 10X optical lens and can set the 'film' and shutter speeds as well as the aperature for rockets launching. It also has a burst feature that may be useful for launch sequence stills. Hopefully I'll figger the thing out and get some good pix.

Originally posted by rocketkid88
3004, eh? :D
glad you got it figured out, i've done the same thing;)

yes... oct 30 04 clear as mud...lol

Originally posted by BHP

Anyway - I just got a new new digital camera myself. It's a Fuji FinePix S 5100. ...It also has a burst feature that may be useful for launch sequence stills.

I have a Fujifilm S5000, use the last five frames setting... start holding down the shutter when the countdown is at one and let go when the rocket leaves the screen on the camera.
I haven't missed a rocket yet!
Fuji makes nice cameras!

Yep, that's the feature that intrigues me. Up to forty frames at up to 3 fps. Very cool. Except my S5100 says that it saves the last three shots only - not five. Hmmm - well, I'll just have to learn to stop shooting when it's appropriate, I guess.

Back