video edit software?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
back in 2013(ish) I used windows movie maker to edit and convert avi (keyfob cam)files to mp4 (youtube) files...well it is '17 now and movie maker seems to have done a runner. any suggestions for simple editing* and file conversions? thanks,
Rex
*trimming to length and removing long periods of waiting to launch (and vertigo inducing bits)

Rex, did it go after your computer upgraded to Windows 10?

Anyway, you can get it in Windows 10 via the Microsoft App Store.

There are other options as well. If you want more features then look up Davinci Resolve.

did it disaper during the initial upgrade, no. it did that during the reinstalls. Microsoft has removed the installer from the store, so they have effectively discontinued it. the 'movie maker' is not the same program that Microsoft wrote.
Rex

Video Pad - It's free for home use.
Works with Win10.
Works with "key-fob" cameras, and most other types of video files.
Outputs in several different formats including "YouTube .mp4"
Easy to use.

Get it here - https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

Video Pad - It's free for home use.
Works with Win10.
Works with "key-fob" cameras, and most other types of video files.
Outputs in several different formats including "YouTube .mp4"
Easy to use.

Get it here - https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/
I've been watching this thread just in case someone posted what you just did. I need a new editor too, so I DL'd this one. By and large, this is super simple and just what I was looking for. I do have a question though. The original clip from which I am editing, sounds really great, but once I save the edited part to my HD, it's really fuzzy sounding. FWIW, I am just trying to make short vids from a longer one that can be played on my computer or uploaded somewhere else...dropbox, Youtube. Yes, I know it has a YouTube option but for now, I just want to save on the HD. Is there a "best option" selection that works for you?

down loaded video pad, tried it out...took about 5 minutes (maybe) to join 2 clips and about 20 to export them as an mp4. given the size of the finished file that isn't too bad, and no, that video is Not going up on youtube 15 minutes of me making cig.s :). Thank you Scott for the link
Rex
*edit* took me longer to reset the date/time on the camera :)

I try and use OpenShot, but it seems to crash often and at the worst time. I end up using Lightworks, also free, but you have to sign in once in a while. It's really great aside from the free version being limited to 720p output. My cell phone records in 4K so I'm still looking around for something that can handle that without crashing.

I try and use OpenShot, but it seems to crash often and at the worst time. I end up using Lightworks, also free, but you have to sign in once in a while. It's really great aside from the free version being limited to 720p output. My cell phone records in 4K so I'm still looking around for something that can handle that without crashing.

As I mentioned above, do a search for Davinci Resolve. Might be just the ticket.

I use the paid version of VideoPad. Works great for me.

I'll second this. I used the free version to make several movies, eventually decided to pay for it after the free trial period ended because I was impressed enough.

Later, when an upgrade was available, I paid again to get the upgrade. No regrets.

Well then. Could someone tell me why my video clips are muffley and slightly distorted? I'm getting popping sounds in my play back as if the audio is recording too hot. I already cut back in areas I know of, but still no change.

I'm not at my home laptop to be able to verify settings at the moment. It sounds like your output settings are too low of quality. Maybe you're forcing a small file size?

I'm not at my home laptop to be able to verify settings at the moment. It sounds like your output settings are too low of quality. Maybe you're forcing a small file size?
Hard to say. I tried the default settings at first and they were the same as now. I've changed settings a few times and results no better. Now I can't find the default button to reset everything.....sigh. I really suck with new software.

Last edited:
Back