VIDEO : Anglesey Wales , Good Bad n Ugly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWALPOCO

Reaction score
Hi all again

Heres some video of our launch fun we had on Sunday. Not got all the video we filmed available due to server space constraints but here goes.

Weather was 0-2mph , clear blue skies and warm and its only February, cant wait for the Summer to come !!

Up first are my two bullpup launches on C6-5s. Launch 1 was pretty straight and Launch 2 was more in an arc but still didnt have to run far to retrieve.

I think RIGHT CLICK n SAVE AS will be the best option for you here but it may well play direct from the webspace , I dont know.

ftp://www.members.aol.com/pwalpoco/RocketVids/Bullpup-12D-001-02-04-Launch1.wmv

ftp://www.members.aol.com/pwalpoco/RocketVids/Bullpup-12D-001-02-04-Launch2.wmv

Next are two different "Missile Command : Army" rockets. As youll see they got up to all sorts as they soared through the air. After posting elsewhere in the forums about these two Im considering retiring my ARMY , or adding weights to it. I dont know what Woody intends to do with his.

ftp://www.members.aol.com/pwalpoco/RocketVids/PaulMissileCommand-ARMY-Launch1.wmv

ftp://www.members.aol.com/pwalpoco/RocketVids/Woody-MCom-ARMY-Launch1.wmv

And the star of the show was Woodys Missile Command : Navy. This showed off on every flight. I was really dissapointed to learn the first flight this made wasnt captured on film ! Basically it was a perfect 10/10 flight. Roman Roads were never straighter than the line this baby flew in , it was spot on all the way.

The Second flight was almost as good and despite the illusion of distance at the end of this video , Woody behind the camera was probably no more than 5 meters away from the landing area.

ftp://www.members.aol.com/pwalpoco/RocketVids/Woody-MCom-Navy-Launch2.wmv

Hopefully these will run ok for you all.

Enjoy

Paul

OUTSTANDING !!! I really enjoyed those. Your launch site is very interesting, as well. I'm sitting here with 4" of snow outside right now, and we are supposed to get another 1 to 3 inches tomorrow.

Not typical for North Carolina, USA. We don't launch here until it gets a LOT warmer.

Thanks again.

Yeah , Im as surprised at our weather as you are probably with your own.

Weve had some good launch weather from December onwards and have had probably in the region of four good weekend days where we could have launched. Weve missed out on a couple but couldnt pass up this Sunday , it would have been a great injustice !

It wasnt quite T-Shirt weather and you certainly didnt need cold weather gear on , I guess it must of been touching 20C which is a nice room temperature.

The UK has been breaking its own weather records year on year over the last decade now. I think January was like one of the warmest on record. If Sunday was anything to go by I would say February will be the same too..... amazing !

The launch site is a large sand duned area , there is some marshy areas but nothing life threatening and to the back of this is a bay which has a long open beach when the tide is out. The place has large flat areas interspersed with high dunes and many of these are circular in shape much like a Volcano crater. Would be cool to launch from the center of one of these but would have to ensure that the areas you couldnt see outside the crater were free of people.

Thank you rocket gods for a great day !! Its only February and weve already had a few good days since the lads and I started with Rocketry just before the New Year.

Paul

We had the best kind of snow here in Dallas on Saturday. Got about 3-4" overnight on Friday, another inch or so on Saturday and then sunday the temp got into the upper 40's. Today, all that is left are the big ice balls from the snowmen people made on Saturday.

Gotta love that 24 hour snow. :D

Cool Vids!

I love the "Oh Thank you" as the chute deployed on the first Bull Pup video :) What made you think the nose cone would come off?!?! ;)

Phil

Nice Video! I like the background comments, "Oh thank you!". I think we all do that either out loud or to ourselves. All that hard work and it flies well too,
Bob

Hello,

I have finally got around to posting (it's me the one behind the Camera).

As Paul explained (another essay LOL) we had a good day apart for the Missile Command Army Rockets trying to kill us (we must have upset Estes) and the final flight of my doomed Fire Flash.

To everyone that doesn’t know about this stooped rocket of mine then let me tell you.

First Flight:
Launched, weathercock, Duck and cover, watch parachute deploy without a rocket attached, pull out nose cone from a foot of earth and apologise to terrified looking family having a picnic.

Second Flight:
Launched, Flew gracefully like a Brick with a C6-5 strapped to it, Disintegrated chute and Shock cord, pulled out of two foot of earth and ducked from a wild swing from father figure of picnicking family.

Third Flight:
Launched, Went well a bit unstable flight, deployed chute, BT detached itself from shock cord, Nose lawn darted with parachute attached? (As I built this thing as per instructions I wonder what happened as the chute opened and was fine) and finally chased rabbit that had BT in its grasp wasn’t quick enough rabbit has now got a Fireflash BT stuffed and mounted above its fireplace (this is the only explanation as I couldn’t find the BT only a load of rabbit Poo.

Will upload all Movies to Alan’s Gig of webspace.

Keep on Trucking

Woody

You should contact Estes in regards to the unstable rockets. Were those RTF? They should of been stable right out of the box...

Welcome To the forum Woody!! If you ever have any problems or questions, just post here and it should be solved pretty quickly... Good to see another Brit on the forum aswell :).

apologise to terrified looking family having a picnic

Been there, done that ;)

Looking at the vids of the Army rockets, I wouldn't launch one of those if i was in a concrete bunker!! Very suprising for a RTF STARTER KIT :eek:!!!

Phil

WiK

My "Oh thank you !" was prompted by what seemed to be the huge delay before ejection. The rocket seemed to have turned nose downwards after a good main burn and there was no sign of the chute. I had commented to Woody pre-flight that the motor was "friction fit" with no hook and I had speculated it might pop itself out without firing the nose off.

When the ejection fired it was quite dramatic and for a moment it wasnt clear if the nose and body were still together on the cord, it looked like they might be parting company. The chute is anchored to an eyelet in the nose and not direct to the cord. Someone has noted in another thread how their Nosecone ring snapped and so they lost the BT , the nose and the chute from their lovingly made pup.

The shockcord I used was supplied with the kit and spiralled round that is some Kevlar line (about 1.5 times the unstretched elastic line). Guess I should have known the cord would have held but that was only the second time our group has launched with it.

N3tjm
As for the RTF ARMY unit , we couldnt beleive it either ! And yes , the bunker is under construction , though we are doubling the thickness of concrete , just in case. Theres a posting elsewhere about this rocket plus helpful replies. The MCom: NAVY was amazing and gave the two best flights of the day though.

Paul

Paul,

Just for future kits, the shock chord supplied with Estes kits is ridicusouly short! I usually put kevlar chord in the shock chord(that is the same length as the shock chord supplied) mount and then tie the elastic to the end of that. That doubles the length of it and adds the strength/heatproofing of the kevlar to the mount.

About the nose cone thing, I remember posting a thread about my NC ring snapping, but I didnt loose the NC or the rest of the rocket, and it has been repaired and is waiting to fly again :)

Phil

Doh ,

For some reason I thought it was a total loss , or was that someone elses , I forget , Im old you know , memory isnt as good as it used to be .... ummmm what were we talking about again ....... ?

Paul

Back