Viagara Segmented Rocket

Discussion in 'Scratch Built' started by BABAR, Dec 5, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

  1. Dec 5, 2018 #1

    BABAR

    BABAR

    BABAR

    Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    Messages:
    3,154
    Likes Received:
    90
    I bought and flew the Odd'l Rockets' "Break Away", which is their version of the Estes "Wacky Wiggler"
    Had some great flights on the Break Away, but it eventually lost a bit of, I guess you'd call it "tumescence", so that there was enough "droop" in the rocket at launch that it was unstable. This is my first attempt at trying to create some central structural support to maintain straight inline orientation of the segments on boost. Outer tube is BT-60. Inner tube is a BT-5 that serves mainly to duct the ejection charge to the nose cone. The segments are supported on a dowel, with internal "launch lugs". Got a great straight boost, perfect separation (the segments came off the dowel correctly, and spread out to create drag), but I think overall current design is a bit too heavy for the type of recovery. Popped a fin at impact with ground. Horizontal spin recovery for the motor mount/fin can may help, but if I do THAT, will have to play some tricks with central support, as current design is asymmetric. Next version likely will be "ChopSticks", as I think I can do this with two wooden chopsticks as internal alignment guides.

    The spelling of Viagara is intentional, figure maybe won't offend the drug maker as much.

     

    Attached Files:

  2. Dec 5, 2018 #2

    kuririn

    kuririn

    kuririn

    BARGeezer TRF Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    935
    Likes Received:
    106
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Hawaii
    Want to see your video, but it shows as unavailable.
     
  3. Dec 5, 2018 #3

    BABAR

    BABAR

    BABAR

    Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    Messages:
    3,154
    Likes Received:
    90
    I think I fixed it. Also added a few pad pics. This model I think has earned its paint, and I will hopefully have a finished version of it soon.
     
  4. Dec 5, 2018 #4

    Amsterdam

    Amsterdam

    Amsterdam

    __________

    Joined:
    May 30, 2015
    Messages:
    205
    Likes Received:
    3
    Awesome idea! Lol the names fitting too. Stinks about the fin.

    Ps vids still unavailable
     
  5. Dec 5, 2018 #5

    BABAR

    BABAR

    BABAR

    Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    Messages:
    3,154
    Likes Received:
    90
    video changed to public. Fingers crossed.
     
  6. Dec 5, 2018 #6

    kuririn

    kuririn

    kuririn

    BARGeezer TRF Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    935
    Likes Received:
    106
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Hawaii
    I guess that fixed the "Erector Dysfunction" problem huh?
     
  7. Dec 5, 2018 #7

    Amsterdam

    Amsterdam

    Amsterdam

    __________

    Joined:
    May 30, 2015
    Messages:
    205
    Likes Received:
    3
    Up and running,
    Do you think adding an inch or two more cord between the segments would slow it down much? The video makes it look like it’s coming in hot
     
  8. Dec 6, 2018 #8

    BABAR

    BABAR

    BABAR

    Builds Rockets for NASA TRF Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2011
    Messages:
    3,154
    Likes Received:
    90
    interesting thought. I am not sure it comes down that much faster than my Break Away, I think it would have been fine had it landed on grass. That said, the central tube and the dowel definitely add some weight compared to the Break Away and Wiggler.
     
  9. Dec 6, 2018 #9

    jadebox

    jadebox

    jadebox

    Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    Messages:
    5,315
    Likes Received:
    15
    My 12' tall Upscale Break Away had centering rings and stuffer tubes in each section, but they were not interconnected. I added them, not for strength, but to reduce the volume inside the body tube that needed to be filled by the ejection charge. Nevertheless, it still requires a very large ejection charge. The internal stuff also helps organize the shock cords inside the rocket so that they don't tangle or catch on anything during ejection. I just realized that I am typing "ejection" a lot in a thread with "Viagra" (sort of) in it's title!

    I agree with the earlier poster that you might want to make the shock cords between the sections of your rocket longer. Each piece needs to basically fall on its own for the "wiggler" effect to work. So, the connecting cords need to be long enough that one piece doesn't pull much on the next as it flops around.

    -- Roger
     

Share This Page