Veteran's Day Launches (With on-board paratroopers)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patternflyer

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a VERY long time, but I tried something new today with my launches. I carried a small paratrooper (astronaut) on board that deployed at ejection. Strong winds made for some interesting flights. Some great, some not-so great. No joke, but on the last flight, the paratrooper stuck the landing!

Thank you Dave. Believe it or not, the Patriot is already fixed. The 2 fins were a clean break and glued right back into place. I then simply cut the forward 1/2” off the body tube. Looks good as new. I opened up the nosecone hole so in future flights, I can fit the altimeters in there freeing up space in the body. Hopefully I won’t have any more jammed chutes! Well, at least not as many…………. 😉

I haven't posted here in a VERY long time, but I tried something new today with my launches. I carried a small paratrooper (astronaut) on board that deployed at ejection. Strong winds made for some interesting flights. Some great, some not-so great. No joke, but on the last flight, the paratrooper stuck the landing!

I want to do this! What sort of miniature did you use for the paratrooper? How did you make his parachute?

I used little toy paratroopers that I bought at Party City. Came in a 6 or 12-pack if I remember correctly. Chutes are already attached. Good luck and have fun!

I used little toy paratroopers that I bought at Party City. Came in a 6 or 12-pack if I remember correctly. Chutes are already attached. Good luck and have fun!
With several of those toy paratroopers and a fairly powerful rocket engine to get the bird off the pad, I could make my own “A Bridge Too Far” rocket. :)

With several of those toy paratroopers and a fairly powerful rocket engine to get the bird off the pad, I could make my own “A Bridge Too Far” rocket. :)

And call it the "Arnhem Rocket" to be launched as a part of Operation Market Garden.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than Monty...

The closest party store is quite a long drive. I found these on Amazon but the paracute is 17 inches. The parachutist is only a coupke of inches long. I could launch this plastic person in a fairly big rocket.

Limited-time deal: Parachute Toy, Tangle Free Throwing Toy Parachute, Outdoor Children's Flying Toys, No Battery nor Assembly Required (4 Pieces Set) (A) https://a.co/d/5RWHUq0

Like the slo-mo launches!

My son and are trying to launch cloned Lego mini figures paratroopers. The biggest issue is the chutes not opening up due to the frigid temperatures (12°F). I wonder if the Amazon chutes would deploy? Plastic estes chutes are like aluminum foil at winter temperatures. On my most recent launch attempt on Friday, even plastic expanding spars didn't open tye frigid chute.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230212_150559_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230212_150559_Photos.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
The closest party store is quite a long drive. I found these on Amazon but the paracute is 17 inches. The parachutist is only a coupke of inches long. I could launch this plastic person in a fairly big rocket.

Limited-time deal: Parachute Toy, Tangle Free Throwing Toy Parachute, Outdoor Children's Flying Toys, No Battery nor Assembly Required (4 Pieces Set) (A) https://a.co/d/5RWHUq0
I ordered a set. They look to be tangle free and I could use them for the rocket itself. I wonder how the cold weather performance is??

Brand: PGXT
4.4 out of 5 stars6,833Reviews

PGXT Parachute Toy, Tangle Free Throwing Toy Parachute, Outdoor Children's Flying Toys, No Battery nor Assembly Required (4 Pieces Set) (A)​

Best parachutes! I will probably buy some more to replace my rocket chutes. I confirm they work with freezing temperature.

Brand: PGXT
4.4 out of 5 stars6,833Reviews

PGXT Parachute Toy, Tangle Free Throwing Toy Parachute, Outdoor Children's Flying Toys, No Battery nor Assembly Required (4 Pieces Set) (A)​

Best parachutes! I will probably buy some more to replace my rocket chutes. I confirm they work with freezing temperature.
Trying them on March 18, 2023!

image.jpg

Back