Vesta Intruder discussion.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm building one of the new Estes Vesta Intruder kits. Neat idea.

Here are some observations from building it:

1) Assemble and prime/paint the motor assembly separately - there are a lot of nooks and crannies and getting them adequately covered without getting too much paint all over the fin area looked to be difficult. Glue it in at the last.

2) The centering rings are very loosely fitting, and will need epoxy to glue them in, I think. Estes dropped the ball on this. I tried the centering rings in both the provided white tubing and standard Estes brown tubing, same very loose fit.

3) The body tube is that white tubing, not the usual brown tubing. I dislike it, but there it is.

4) Watch the launch lugs/standoffs. I messed up the placement on them (not a lot of room to work with), had to remove them and sand down the base of the standoff a bit to level it out. Once I got it glued in place, and tested the fit with a 3/16" launch rod, there was very little clearance between the rod and the nosecone. Speaking of which, you will need to orient the nosecone correctly so the launch rod doesn't smack into the side of it (the nosecone is elliptically shaped in cross-section). Consider making your own standoffs, a little wider to get the launch lug further away from the body.

5) Priming/painting the launch lugs/standoffs when they are installed is a pain. I expect to have to brush paint portions of it since the paint is having a hard time getting in there without pooling/trashing the main basecoat elsewhere.

6) I have had a hard time getting primer/paint in between the fin pieces at the base, so I'll probably brush paint those areas so they don't look ugly.

7) I'm concerned about the provided 15" parachute. The model is supposed to be 4.4oz estimated. The fins may be fragile (we'll see how they fare in actual recoveries), so I would think using an 18" parachute would be better. After all, the Estes Interceptor, which is about 4oz uses an 18" parachute. I put in an 18" w/4" spill hole thin-mil parachute from TopFlite in mine and hopefully it will give a gentle descent without drifting too far away.

8) The strakes looked to be challenging to keep straight, but that wasn't really a problem after all. I used the put a small drop of superglue gel on each endof the fin root, and one in the middle, and put Elmers Carpenter glue in the rest of the root. Align carefully, and press into place; the superglue gel grabs pretty quickly. Using additional lines to show where the sides of the fin base go is a really good idea here.

I'll post pictures of mine once its done - I just primed it and am waiting for the primer to fully dry and a nice calm day to paint it.

Here are photos of the completed rocket: Instead of making the nosecone bulges black like on the packaging, I went with gold, which I think looks better.

DSC02732.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

Final observations for now:

The model is significantly overweight, weighing in at 4.9 oz (5.05 oz with an 18" Top Flight thin-mil parachute). Estes's estimated weight is 4.4 oz. I went easy on the glue, only did tiny tiny fillets on the rear fins (one pass with glue, wiped most of it away), so I am not sure why it is that overweight.

The decals: decent, but kind of skimpy on the number. I would have preferred 2 more of the big one that goes in front of the main rear fin, and something to put on the fins besides the Estes logo. More decals would have really made this one more attractive.

I hope to fly it in 2 weeks, hopefully it will fly well.

I discovered the hard way, that the Vesta Intruder NEEDS the 3 secondary fins in the rear (the ones without the wide pieces attached at the base) to have proper fin fillets. The directions do not mention fillets for either the rear fins or strakes... I stupidly didn't put fillets on those 3 rear fins, guess I thought they were strong enough. Wrong.

The rocket survived its maiden flight with no problems, only to have one fin break off at the base due to laying the rocket on its side while prepping it. So I couldn't fly it. Took it home, wrapped in a pillowcase in the backseat of the car, found that during transport, the weight of the rocket broke a second fin. So I have this to try and repair... and I am not sure how I am going to do it without totally trashing the appearance.DSC02751.JPG

First. Great looking rocket. Really nice job on the build. Based on the shape alone I'm surprised you didn't break the fin tips on landing. If I build one of these I will at the very least paper the fins but more then likely replace them with basswood or ply.

I wouldn't be too concerned with weight. With a 24mm mount it will fly nicely on a D12 and there is always composite motors. I think I might increase the parachute size as well in an attempt to save those fins.

I discovered the hard way, that the Vesta Intruder NEEDS the 3 secondary fins in the rear (the ones without the wide pieces attached at the base) to have proper fin fillets. The directions do not mention fillets for either the rear fins or strakes... I stupidly didn't put fillets on those 3 rear fins, guess I thought they were strong enough. Wrong.
Lesson learned: *any* surface mounted rear fin will need fillets. And in general, there's no good reason not to fillet every single fin on every rocket; exceptions will be unusual.

I really like this rocket, but I wait more reports on how well the fins survive landings. I can imagine that the three with the reinforcement sandwich have a much better chance than the other three (with or without fillets).

The fin tips seem to be fairly sturdy due to the cardstock they have you glue onto the balsa. I believe the kit comes with a 15" parachute, but I went up to an nylon 18" w/4" spillhole chute.

I’m wondering if a thin layer of epoxy over the fins would benefit or if breaking the fins at the root is inevitable. If so, should we tack them on and hope at least 3 fins stay on for the flight?

84DC16E4-2BAC-48B8-91D6-F4457E6CC038.jpeg

Here are photos of the completed rocket: Instead of making the nosecone bulges black like on the packaging, I went with gold, which I think looks better.

View attachment 484192

View attachment 484194

Final observations for now:

The model is significantly overweight, weighing in at 4.9 oz (5.05 oz with an 18" Top Flight thin-mil parachute). Estes's estimated weight is 4.4 oz. I went easy on the glue, only did tiny tiny fillets on the rear fins (one pass with glue, wiped most of it away), so I am not sure why it is that overweight.

The decals: decent, but kind of skimpy on the number. I would have preferred 2 more of the big one that goes in front of the main rear fin, and something to put on the fins besides the Estes logo. More decals would have really made this one more attractive.

I hope to fly it in 2 weeks, hopefully it will fly well.
Man I hope Estes sells that nose cone separately, cool for scratch builds.

Finally got around to fixing the rocket; I was able to lightly score the paint/primer with an Xacto knife, and chip it away to reveal the bare tube, glued the fins back on with 3 layers of Titebond II glue. They look like they'll be plenty sturdy now. I just have to brush on some decanted primer and paint to hide the repairs.

JvbDTcfl.jpg

ag1y2WBm.jpg

Nice looking rocket. Excellent work!
Sorry to hear about the fins, but it's a great lesson for us all on this bird.
(I still believe that the Seaquest submarine was the inspiration for this design.)

Bill, I just finished my Vesta Intruder last night and noticed when I put in the nose cone, the shoulder of the cone seems to be out of round. I can rotate it in the tube and you can see the tube "deform" or stretch as it rotates. I have already sanded down the shoulder as much as possible. I tested it out on other body tubes and rockets and it does the same thing so I don't think it's the tube. Did you have any kind of problem like that? I emailed Estes to see what they thought. I don't have a set of digital calipers to verify roundness, but it may be a purchase for the weekend......

I haven't seen that, but it sounds to me like a defective nosecone (mold halves didn't line up very well?). If its not too bad, you might be able to sand the mismatched areas and get it to work. But if Estes is willing to send you a replacement, that would be better.

Sorry to necropost, but I wanted to mention that after 10 flights, I have yet to break one of the fins on this rocket. Despite looking like they'd be easy to break, that isn't the case at all.

Back