Very good article on "Future"..for you modeller types too..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link!

I use Future Floor Wax (FFW) as a clear coat all the time. I was surprised that there was no mention in this comprehensive article about of adding just a little Talcum powder to the Future Floor Wax to create a dull or flat coat.

I am considering mixing FFW with or just using a 303 Aerosapce UV protectant under FFW to prevent white paint from yellowing.
Visit:

https://www.303warehouse.com/

and look under Aerospace Protectant

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Actually, I noted that the article said that the Future Floor Wax was not the culprit in the yellowing issue, but rather it was the white paint. As an alternate solution, if you airbrush or hand brush your rockets, you could use a solution I used to use on Star Trek models - add a couple of drops of light (sky) blue to the white paint. It actually makes the paint look whiter, and should cancel out the yellowing effect.

Greg

Originally posted by gpoehlein
- add a couple of drops of light (sky) blue to the white paint -

Greg, I'm sure that is a good idea, and it really works, but I am betting that you are working with an airbrush? How do I add a couple drops of 'sky blue' to a can of WalMart spray paint? Any other great ideas how to stop yellowing?

Originally posted by gpoehlein
add a couple of drops of light (sky) blue to the white paint.
Did anyone else think of Little Old Ladies here? :D

Does it apply well using a standard or foam brush?

I don't own an airbrush.....

I typically use Testor's High Gloss Cote for my gloss finishes, and I've been very pleased. It's a lacquer, and it works better than anything else I've tried (Deft, Krylon in various incarnations, you name it - if it's an aerosol gloss clear, that is.)

Originally posted by Fore Check
Does it apply well using a standard or foam brush?

Yes - or so I've heard (I use it in an airbrush). There are those who even say it's *easier* to use a foam brush than it is to airbrush. It does self-level very nicely, so I'm inclined to believe this advice. I've heard if you get some bubbles while brushing, lightly blowing on it is supposed to level things out.

I got a bottle of 'Klear' today, and have just tried it on my recently finished Semroc Squire. I used kitchen roll to apply it, and the results are fantastic! :)

The only problem I had was prepping the rocket. I decided to use Isopropanol Alcohol to get rid of all the surface oils & greases. Bad Idea. The alcohol caused the red paint to smudge. :eek: Luckely I noticed it, and was able to sort it out before any lasting damage was done. I'll use detergent to get rid of the grease next time! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it works as advertised. 8)

Since I've not tried this yet, does the future give a sharp sheen like a clear cote ?..or is it closer to a dull cote in appearance ?

Originally posted by Silverleaf
does the future give a sharp sheen like a clear cote ?..or is it closer to a dull cote in appearance ?
Straight out of the bottle, like a clear coat. I understand you can mix with other products to achieve a dull coat.

That makes sense now that I think about it, based solely on Futuring 1st, letting dry, applying weathering then 3 or 4 very light passes with flat cote to finish.

Thanks for the info..8)

If you have a rocket that is yellowed from future ,
wipe a small area with alcohol,Is the paint bright?

I did this on a 4 yr old nike smoke that I "futured"
and found that it was in fact, the paint that had yellowed
Ironically,I had emailed swanny a few weeks ago about this same rocket,after reading his article

he still thought it was the paint , sure enough he was right.

There's a sort of slimmed down version of the article in the new FineScale Modeler. I have airbrushed and foam brushed Future. Brushing it gives a thicker coat and helps even out any slightly rough spots. Airbrushing is probably batter over decals as a thick coat can lift decals. Be sure to let paint cure for a long time; Future is a wonderful paint stripper for recently painted acrylics - trust me.
I always thought it was the Testor's Dullcoat that was yellowing my models, and in some cases I can see less yellowing where I have not overcoated white. However, last year I sprayed an Interceptor clone I'm working on with Testor's gloss white. It started to yellow in a few weeks! I still have to sand and repaint it.
Drew

Hmm..ya know, I may have to break out my old P-38 Lightning kit and start doing the canopy with future...

*drools*...

Needs Future post haste - and yet..Ohio is getting bombarded with Ice, Sleet and Hail..can't take 2 steps without falling and going for a long ride down the hill..*sniff*

Originally posted by dtomko
Be sure to let paint cure for a long time; Future is a wonderful paint stripper for recently painted acrylics - trust me.

I think this depends on the acrylic. I've shot Future onto rockets that have been drying less than an hour with no problems of stripping or running. This includes the 44-cent bottles of craft paints I get at Walmart.

Back